Post surgery Care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kate76, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Kate76

Kate76 New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    Today one of my hens found a 10cm piece of silicone out of a caulking gun nozzle and decided to down it whole. What transpired was a rushed visit to the vet and emergency surgery to remove the silicone from the crop. We were able to take her home pretty much straight away. I have just reintroduced her to the run with her sister after being kept in a quiet warm place for 2-3 hours. I figured with the racket that she was making calling for her sister that it would be less stressful for her for them to be together. My other chook, the dominant one is free ranging and being kept away from the 2 girls. She is alert, eating drinking and acting like nothing has happened. I have put ACV in the water and i have just started her on the antibiotics that the vet gave her. Is there anything else i should be doing?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    10 cm... may have passed.... but I suppose you did the right thing.... but expensive.

Good luck.

3. Kate76

Kate76 New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    Just a little expensive! She better start laying some golden eggs to compensate!!! [​IMG] Seriously though I could not in good conscience wait and see- i really don't think it would have broken down and it would have just got worse- better to fix it now than wait till its a case of life and death.

4. henlady

henlady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well I think catching it while in the crop was the best idea. If it went into the gizzard or intestines you're looking at a much more serious surgery and recovery. I had a bird with an impacted crop for months while I tried everything in the book to save her. Nothing cured so surgery was the only option (my birds are pets, so wouldn't cull unless necessary). She was weak so had to recooperate in the house for a month and she made it. Diet is pretty important I recall - liquid diet, followed by easily digested foods were what we had to follow. She's tip top now but it was tough on her. She didn't blend in well once reintroduced since she was gone so long. She's still at the bottom of the pecking order - 2.5 years later!!
    My girl enjoyed powdered baby bird food, shredded apples and tomatoes. The antibiotic can ruin their appetite. I'm happy to help if you have any questions. Keep an eye on that incision :)

5. Kate76

Kate76 New Egg

Dec 4, 2008
    Well 2 week later- she has not missed a beat and for the first time today she laid an egg! must have done something right [​IMG]

6. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    [​IMG] You did everything right... kudos for being such a dedicated chicken Mama..!!!!!!

Good luck, and I hope her next egg is the golden one to thank you for her surgery & care! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by