1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post surgery crop remains open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jmcoe, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Hi, I did a crop surgery on my chicken two days ago. Superglued crop and then superglued skin. Both have popped open. can I leave as is and spray , periodically, with vetrycin? Any suggestions on how to proceed? I worry about infection. Thanks!

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I had a hen someone gave me one time with her crop broken open at the bottom. I tried the superglue with no luck. I kept it clean and her separated and applied ointment to the general area and she did heal but did lose some weight due to not being able to eat properly.

3. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Good to know. Thanks for replying. So far, nothing is coming out. I'm feeding small amounts throughout the day and trying to not let her load up her crop. I'm thinking of not letting her have much at all today...which is hard, but I really want it to heal together. Good to know it's possible. Thanks.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    You're welcome! Let us know how she does.

5. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    So far so good! She is active, eats, drinks (just a little) and poops (a lot)! Wound seems to be healing, but looks pretty ugly. The crop may be closing up...can't really tell. The outer skin is still open. It's a little less puffy, not red, I do t see any pus or anything, so am hoping the puffiness is t infection. I'm wondering if I should try to clean it out again, rather than just keep spraying vetrycin? It looks like it has some food in there, but not sure. She seems to be doing so well I don't want to screw things up. It stinks to high heavens, but think it smells like wet poultry feathers...from the vetrycin. Not nearly as strong as she dries out. Is there any wound antibiotic like penicillin that comes in a gel I can apply, or that I can feed her rather than inject? Thanks!

6. RareAvis

RareAvis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    [note: edited for content: Saturday evening]

Have you heard of the crop support? It's kind of like a bra for crops, and some people swear by them.

A woman in Vermont {where I live} was going to have to ethically euthanize her beloved chicken due to a crop issue—ongoing; had tried everything her vet or others could think of, devastated; tried the support, and immediately saw results.

Happy chicken, today. :)

She {the seller/maker} can do custom sizes, too; each item is made to order.

It might offer additional wound protection while healing, too.

I've not used or seen one, in person.

VERY reasonably priced; less than twenty bucks.

I do NOT work for or with her; I am not trying to sell or hawk anything; I simply hoped it might help.

Good luck; sending good thoughts your way.

Please do post a status update, if you get the chance...

Heal well: both of you.

[Link: http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/birdy-bra-crop-supporter-chest-protector/]

Regarding antibiotic? With surgery? I'd suggest systemic: i.e. internal, rather than putting ANYTHING directly on or near wound, until it heals significantly.

Caveat:I am not a vet or medical practitioner.

My ex husband is a surgeon: human species: Homo sapiens: we do tend to pick a few things up when exposed intensively, and curious; please understand that I am not claiming any healthcare background.

Fishmox? I had a TERRIBLE experience with; another animal; I've tried it only once, in a bind: I do NOT trust their quality control AT ALL.

I'm sure another, savvier chix person might recommend a reliable brand.

Honestly? I'd go for people antibiotics, type/dosage/treatment protocol recommended by vet, but I understand that this is often not culturally appropriate with chickens.

In my limited experience, the emergency vet will answer these Qs over the phone for free, particularly if you have established a rapport and/or approach gently and cautiously and assure them that you are not litigious. I often use words like, "Hypothetically" in conversations. I've NEVER had them not respond to my queries with genuine concern and advice, no charge, over the phone.

By the by?

I am about to try administering aspirin to a cockerel; do you have any experience in guestimating weight? Could he be only 12-16 oz at age 13-15 weeks? That's what I'm guessing. Less than a pound.

I believe a bantam something-frizzle-barred rock mix... I CANNOT do huge amount of water... the recipes I'm finding online call for solutions/dilutions.

I'd like to try a portion of a baby aspirin; do not, obviously, want to hurt him.

I bought the baby aspirin today; about to try a splint, too, want to give aspirin first.

I had never even met a live chicken until a few weeks ago. Argghh... Nervous as all livin' get up.

I gave him yoghurt and sweet potato {cooked} prophylactically about an hour ago to help sooth any GI issues; if aspirin causes upset.

Risk/benefit?

He's in pain.

Sorry, thought you might know.

A rescue/{at least until he heals: indoor pet, effectively}/first chicken ever; me: newbie.

Thank you...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  7. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Thanks for the tip on the chicken bra. I am familiar with them..good idea. My main concern is avoiding infection. I've been reading to not use systemic antibiotics...ugh! So much conflicting info out there! I do appreciate your taking the time to respond, and your suggestions. As for guessing the weight of your chickie...I'm sorry, I'm not much help. I suppose you could weigh yourself, and then weigh again holding the chicken, but since she's so small I doubt that would be very accurate. Maybe set her in a bowl on a kitchen scale? I hope you come up with a solution, and that your chickie is feeling better soon. Thank you.

8. Jmcoe

Jmcoe Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Help! My chicken's incision seems quite swollen. Not red, but very swollen. I'm not sure if the crop is open or not, but the skin is still open. It looks like there may be a little mash inside the incision, but it might be where the crop has healed together. I can't tell and am nervous to pick around in there. I've been spraying vetrycin and today put polysporin on it. Can anyone recommend an antibiotic specifically for wounds...preferably something I don't have to inject, bit I will if that's the best option. Thank you so. I Have!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Something like amoxicillin, cephalexin, or sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim maybe?

Question... When you sutured the crop, did you suture the crop, then suture the skin? Crop surgery instructions here: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/41.pdf

Search for FIG 41.13

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've used the Thomas Labs products (Fish Mox, Fish Zole, etc.) and haven't had any issues with them.

As for weighing your bird, go buy a food scale from Walmart or Target.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by