1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post surgery feeding (impacted crop)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue Harvest Mama, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Blue Harvest Mama

Blue Harvest Mama New Egg

Jul 6, 2008
    I just finished performing crop surgery on a very emancipated hen and need to know how soon our hen can eat. Any suggestions on the most nutritious foods to feed for the first few days. I was thinking of the following: bread dipped in yogurt /coconut water and scrambled eggs with crushed garlic and flaxseed meal. I was also thinking of giving her buttermilk or regular milk, if she will drink it.

Also, any suggestions on more holistic/natural substitutes for mainstream antibiotics. I know there is a site that addresses this, but can't seem to find the site at the moment.

Gloria is our hens name, please keep her in your healing thoughts and prayer for a speedy recovery.

Thanks in advance!
    Dionne

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you withhold food for 24 hours then check the crop?
    You can give scrambled eggs, and feed with a bit of water added to it.

3. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I'm not sure what 'crop surgery' is... but did you mean emaciated? Otherwise I must be confused as to what emancipated means?... Is there a thread around here as to what crop surgery is, or could someone explain this to me so that I can follow this and learn [​IMG]

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    there is a complete explanation with pics of a crop surgery in the sticky at the top of the page.."Other Helpful References"

crop surgery is done when the crop is impacted/obstructed..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    I'd give her soft foods..moistened feed..maybe even baby cereal..
    using water..not too thick at first..see how she does.
    no grains or grass, and maybe no seeds either..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by