Post Traumatic Stress?

Rooba

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
I had a visit from a fox last week which wiped out four of my chickens. The three survivors seemed OK for the next couple of days but they have now stopped eating, laying and are spending most of the day inside on their perch. Can anyone suggest how to calm the girls down and get them back to their old selves? Would it help to bring in three new chickens? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry for your loss. Is it possible that the fox is still in the area and periodically 'visiting' your run?

Yes, there are signs of digging around the shed. I don't know how to deter the fox. We have deep snow just now so my electric poultry netting isn't working. I don't own a gun, so lethal force isn't an option. Luckily the shed and secure run have concrete foundations so it won't manage to get in.

Are you providing feed and water inside the coop to assure that they are getting enough to eat? If not, might be a good idea to do so. His attentions are very likely causing the behavioral changes that you are noticing.

Thanks. Yes, they have everything they need in the shed. They usually love corn as a treat but even this is going uneaten. Hopefully things will improve when (if) the fox gives up and moves on.

Back
Top Bottom