Post ways to keep your chickens cool in this heat

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fluffychickens, Jul 22, 2011.

1. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Post any ways to keep chicks cool. My new weekend goal is to make my chicks comfortibale

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well,when my mom and Dad aren't looking I bring them in the house ;o.
    Lol, or I just sometimes get a big bucket and dip my chickens feet in it.

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    We put a fan behing the doorway so they won't get hurt by it. I also get a plastic bin and fill it up with water and let them stand in it. I let them float in it when I fill it up higher too. To let them float, you have to do it a little everyday for them to get used to it.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Plenty of shade and cool dusting spots, fresh water and a fan in the coop for cross breezing. Other than that, I've never done anything else and my chickens seem to do just fine. Some folks add a mister to that combination.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    all 23 of mine got to spend the day in the cool dark basement (lucky ducks-sorry i meant chickens [​IMG] -upstairs we humans don't even have AC [​IMG] ) since it was in the hundreds today [​IMG] i also hose down the outside of the coop so the heat doesn't biuld up and spray the outside pen so they can take mudbaths [​IMG] i spritz cold water under all of thier wings sometimes too and give them frozen water bottles to lie against. they also get extra electrolytes in thier water.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Here's what we use, and how many we use depends on how hot it is.

-Fresh water 2-3 times a day so that it does not get hot.
    -Add ice to water dish
    -Feed cool snacks like melon, frozen veggies, extra zucchini, etc.
    -Put a stainless steel feed dish in run, and fill with cool water for them to wade or sit in
    -Freeze water and chopped treats like veggies and fruit in pie tins to put out in the run. They'll peck at it for awhile to get the treats.
    -We put a pop-up tent over them for shade since they are in an ark.
    -Put mister on pop-up tent with a timer to go off every hour for 15 minutes or so.

7. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Ice, ice in their water, ice on the ground, changing their water out often, misting with water, lots of shade from trees and tarps, fans.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by