1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

POST YOUR BREEDING PENS/SETUPS!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FreedomFarm13, Nov 7, 2016.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hello there!!! I'm wanting some ideas on how to set up my breeding operation. I want to have several different breeds and am trying to come up with a solution that will use space well, be cost effective, and attractive, so I decided to ask all of you to show me some pics of your breeding pen setups! And, while pictures are indeed inspiring, any additional information you care to share would be much appreciated (i.e. how many breeds, sizes of pens shown, design innovations for convenience/utility, etc.) I've seen tons of threads about people's coops, but have yet to find one specifically about breeding pens, so let's get this show on the road!! Looking forward to seeing all your pics!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Subing as I'd like to get a small hatchery going someday.

3. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Anyone?

4. JayColli

JayColli Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2016
    Nova Scotia
    Following this thread!

5. simon8894

simon8894 New Egg

Dec 9, 2016
    Los Angeles
    How much space do you have to use to build your breeding pen? How many breeds are you going to be keeping and quantity of those breeds?

6. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    If you're asking me, I have several acres, so space isn't an issue at all. And I haven't completely decided on number of breeds yet. I'm starting with the three breeds I want the most- Ameraucanas, Marans, and Wyandottes- and going from there. I was thinking my pens would be at least 4 ft x 6 ft, but maybe more if I plan on putting more than a trio in there. Not sure about my plans yet. That's why I wanted others to share their set ups with the rest of us...it would help me make a few decisions for sure, and maybe even give me more and better ideas!! I hope somebody posts some pics and info soon!!

ETA: Forgot to mention, these pens will be temporary pens used only for breeding. The rest of the time, they'll be in a BIG coop with the other girls and I was wanting to have the fellas housed separately. Though, obviously, still not sure how I'll set it all up or exactly HOW big everything will be....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for starting this thread going. [​IMG] I have been trying to figure out how to do the breeding pens, also. Maybe someone who already has some good set up will be along to enlighten us soon?

8. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    So, here's a pic I found on the internet that might be something I'd like to do. I'm a ways off from building one THIS big but here it is.
    [​IMG]

9. micah wotring

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    You could have a large fenced in area around the coop and the let one of the pens out each day. Like taking turns. IDK just an idea.

10. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'm almost certain someone once posted pics of their breeding pens that were constructed with modular walls dividing it into 4 sections. The walls were removable so that, when desired, the space could be converted back to one large open area or a medium-sized area with one or two smaller areas.

It seemed a very space and cost efficient design. The exterior of the full space was predator proofed very well and the modular walls were lightweight chicken wire as they only needed to keep the birds separate. They were solid for the bottom 2-3 feet though, to prevent the roosters in adjacent pens from seeing each other. It was quite ingenious, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by