Post your buff orp pics to help a newbie **pics added to sex chickens*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ctcasper, May 7, 2008.

1. ctcasper

ctcasper Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am still trying to sex my 12 week old buff orpingtons and I have been searching the internet looking for pics of roos and hens to compare to mine. Someone said that if they get shiny darker feathers they are roos, do hens get ANY darker feathers at all, or is this just a rooster thing? Also, what are the other tell tale signs at this age? I would love to see some pics from people who have older chickens and ones about the same age. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. annrich

annrich Songster

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    My girls hope this helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Post some pictures of yours and we can tell you if you have roos.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Look at the girls face in the front and the boys face in the background to the left. They are very different at this age..

[​IMG]

Jody

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Here are 2 of my girls at about 12 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to edit to let you know, I looked up my pics and these pics were taken at 6 weeks, not 12 weeks....sorry

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Songster

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I bought 10 that were sexed to be hens, but one obviously was a cockeriel. I could tell by 3 weeks that his comb and waddles were redder and more pronounced. The pictures are at about 8 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ctcasper

ctcasper Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thank you all for your help, i am now positive that all 15 of mine are roosters. Now I get to pick my favorite two to keep for my flock. Thanks very much guys. I already posted pics before and it's hard to get them to take good pics, but mine all look like roos. How old are yours annrich???

8. ctcasper

ctcasper Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, decided to post some pics anyway.

These are mine at 9 weeks.
    [​IMG]

Here is a couple pics now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of mine have at least some red comb and wattles, so I am sure they are all roos, if anyone thinks diff. then let me know

9. Newfoundland Chick

Newfoundland Chick In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I've become a lover of chickens. They are fabulously affectionate, curious, warm little birds. I have 8 chicks - 2 Australoops, 2 Brahmas, 2 Americaunas & 2 Orpingtons. So far, I know that I have 2 roosters. But...I cannot figure out the sex of my orpingtons...so, as a newbie, I too would appreciate your thoughts...I'm posting some pics - but they wouldn't keep still for the pose! If anyone can take an educated guess as to the sex of these 4 week old chicks, please do so....

Thank you much,
    Lori
    Newfoundland, Canada

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ctcasper

ctcasper Songster

Apr 4, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thoughts from anyone else????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: