Post your burntcoop pictures here

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FlyWheel, Dec 20, 2016.

1. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG] I just got through reading about yet another chicken coop having burned down, crucifying all it's occupants alive. And yes, a heat lamp was once again the guilty party. Yet people still use these things, both for brooding helpless chicks and heating their coops, despite all the warnings. Now I realize the determined are not going to change their minds, and that is their right. But the uninitiated should at least know the dangers.

If you have lost or almost lost a coop, brooder or had some other fire damage/mishap. Please post your story(s) and/or photos here. You could be saving more than just a chicken coop!

Perhaps this could even be made a sticky?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I agree with you me and my family were standing out side one soy talking to some friends when l looked over at are pig pen and the house was smoking with the little piglet inside luckily we cold stop the fire before any real damage was done but it was a close call if you have to use a heat lamp at least have a cover on it

1 person likes this.
  3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Quote:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  4. Daox13

Daox13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Richmond va
    My Coop
    100%!!!!!!!

It baffles me how many corners people cut in running electricity to their coops. You wouldn't do that in your home so why in the hell would you do it to your defenseless chickens or barn animals.

I am a true believer that unless you get in the negatives in dec and stay there until april you truly don't need heat in a coop and even then I question it. to each their own, but when you risk lives you need to know what you are doing and if you aren't going to do something risky the right way in general then you need to just not own chickens or anything for that matter.

I get that brooders need it and in that case just do it the right way the first time and problem solved... take a few extra minutes and think things through.

I get so fired up[​IMG] sometimes over this because these animals are relying on you to be smart. they simply don't know any better and because someone got lazy and didn't take a few extra minutes to prepare they end up burning alive.... and what happens.. that same person rebuilds and gets more..... sorry but tis the season for fires and I have seen sooooo many people on facebook talking about heat lamps that I just can't stand it anymore [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. enrgizerbunny

enrgizerbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016

I'm a firefighter and I'd like to point something out here...
    Oxygen in itself does not burn, so they CANNOT "blow up" their tank. Oxygen can only assist in combustion reactions and does not burn without a fuel and competent ignition source.

However, oxygen does "stick" to or saturate materials like clothing and make them burn faster. This is why someone's home who has been on oxygen for a time will burn faster than others.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by