Post Your Chicken Tractor Pics here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rich Marshall, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Please post your tractor pics as I am looking for a good design to build for 3 hens.
    Thanks.

2. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    This is the coop I built for Gloria and Gertie - pictured with the ventilated summer door.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    Thats great thanks for sharing, do you move it around the yard or is it in one permanent spot?

4. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Just moved it yesterday! I've been meaning to put wheels on it, but haven't gotten around to it. The housing separates easily from the base, so I back the pickup truck up to it, slide the house into the truck bed and move the base by hand (2 people). Then slide the house back on. Doesn't take long at all.

5. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    This is the tractor we use to transition chicks to free range until they are old enough to fend for themselves. We also keep a rabbit or 2 in here for short periods if the weather is nice. Not quite as nice looking as fiwi but it gets the job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  6. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    This is my home made chicken tractor/brooding coop. I’m so proud of it lol first time I have never had help from my dad on building something! I used it for growing out my flock of Silkies; they had lots of room, and since all but two of them turned out to be roosters (which I sold) my two hens left have the whole thing all to themselves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had lots of fun making it, plus the fact that all the materials I used I found in one of our old sheds so the whole thing was free lol I think I'm going to make a few more, as you can never have to many pens

7. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    cat1994, do you let them free range during the day?

8. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Here is ours....we use it primarily for meat chickens when they are ready to leave the brooder and go on grass but we have also put broody hens and their chicks in here until the babies get big enough for the hawks to leave them alone. We have also raised ducklings in here and could probably put some rabbits in here for the day if we wanted. It is framed on the bottom with 2x4s and the top framing is done with 2x2's covered with a 16x20 tarp that is folded on one end to give a wind break on one side. It has been worth the $130 it cost to build it because of how versitile it is.

[​IMG]

Here is the inside framing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has wheels and we drilled holes in the framing on the bottom and knotted a rope through to pull it with.

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:Only when I'm home and outside, i do let them into the big grass run sometimes when the big flock is not in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by