Post your home made chicken feed recipes! :) (including treats)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Jan 24, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Is there anyway i could make food at home? Im trying to save money.. and frankly i would rather my chickens eat something besides layena.. it has too much corn! Anyone have a recipe ? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    Do a quick search. Tons of ideas.

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    boiled green lentils,oatmeal,raisins,peanut butter.A great cold winter treat.

5. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I posed this same question in another thread today (see the link in my signature) but I'm not exactly happy with my results yet. Still thinking about it, and researching. I want to stop paying for these bags of feed!

6. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I receive a magazine called "Backyard Poultry" and a few years back they had a article on homegrown feed. Wish I could grow anything in this red clay! but I can grow chickens!

7. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:==============

This year, plants LOTS Of those giant sunflowers where you think you'd like a garden someday. They put down really long roots that can get through clay soils. Did it at our last house and those things really thrived! Then you benefit 2 ways: sunflower seeds for your girls, and aerated soil for a garden after a couple of years of doing that.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

See my BYC page for my recipe!

It is easy to get a MORE expensive recipe so check prices before you mix it all up if you go this route. I use organic corn - so that raises my price some.

The use of roasted soybean meal, fish meal, premixed vitamins, etc. might decrease costs too- but I don't want that in my recipe.

Organics North (fellow BYC'er) has a recipe on his page too. He does save money, I have read on his posts.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Thanks everyone! Keep it coming! i'll look at your recipe's [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by