Post Your Homemade Incubators Please!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Can you all please post a picture of your homemade Incubator and where the lighting fixture and your thermostat is at in the incubator?
    Im still having problems with my Styrofoam homemade incubator despite advice from others on where to place the thermostat and to drill holes, it still doesnt kick on when I need it to but I can get it to kick off when I need it to... Or I can get it to kick on when I need it to but cant get it to kick off when I need it to!!
    So PLEASE help me by posting pictures of YOUR incubators!! Thank you!!!

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Might also help if we can see a picture of what yours looks like.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    check out my BYC page

5. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]
    thermostst to right, lightbulb in middle (should of centered it), pc fan with housing to left, also have 4 small jars with water for heat sinks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hatched my first on July 2, so does work !!!!
    Ayda

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I would rather not post pictures of mine because I did in another post and people critiqued it an confused me even more and actually made the temp worse. Turned up all the way if was only getting to 97*F and shutting off until 88*F.
    So in this post I would rather just see someone else's set up!

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Now see where your thermostat is to the bulb makes more sense then what I was told.. I was told to put the metal back to the bulb..

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Now see where your thermostat is to the bulb makes more sense then what I was told.. I was told to put the metal back to the bulb..

well i am sorry that what i told you didn't help,, but you can talk to JFulcher about the advice i gave her and her temp is at 100.3 to 100.8 and doesn't fluctuate,,,, maybe you could look at the post i posted about (setting eggs in an Rcom mini incubator), and you will see that we talked about moving the thermostat closer to the light bulb, because if you look at her page you will see where it was, and if you look at my thread you will see the pictures of how she moved the thermostat, and just recently she moved it closer, and it works even better, so go to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=527319&p=3 go to page 2 and move on to three and look at it

9. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY

It's worked for me, but agian this was my first hatch-things I would redo and will redo-light bulb more centered, fan under light bulb?? then drill holes into thermostat-my temps fluctuate from 99-101 would like it to be 99-100
    Ayda

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

well i am sorry that what i told you didn't help,, but you can talk to JFulcher about the advice i gave her and her temp is at 100.3 to 100.8 and doesn't fluctuate,,,, maybe you could look at the post i posted about (setting eggs in an Rcom mini incubator), and you will see that we talked about moving the thermostat closer to the light bulb, because if you look at her page you will see where it was, and if you look at my thread you will see the pictures of how she moved the thermostat, and just recently she moved it closer, and it works even better, so go to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=527319&p=3 go to page 2 and move on to three and look at it

why are you getting so deffensive? It was nothing against you it just didnt make 100% sense to me but I still tried what you said an for ME it made my temp worse. Im not electronically smart when it comes to bulding things like this which is why Im posting on here! It was nothing against what you said or you in general!

**please ignore spelling I am trying to chase my 10 month old away from the stairs and she keeps swatting at me in the process..
    [​IMG] moody little cuss... wonder who she gets it from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by