Post your livestock/horse auction results prices are sooo down!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WIChookchick, May 7, 2011.

1. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    An annual pony and horse auction held every spring.
    2 donkeys, mother and son $25 a piece
    Yearling palamino filly $45
    17 yr old paint/pinto large pony mare, with "grass" founder, heaves... led through, $350 or 375
    13 yr old Reg. TWH gelding $375, well broke, possibly something wrong with his hind end, but rode well.
    15 or 16 yr old Reg Appy mare $325 or 375 super super well broke...
    Age? under 10, FLASHY black and White Paint gelding, well broke but needed more time, $800+
    Flashy liver chestnut or light bay hackney mare, well broke to drive, $325
    2 yr old black stud colt, small or stunted $90, quiet and good ground manners.
    6 (supposedly) blk/wht pinto mare, supposedly well broke to ride, lost a foal, THIN, scraggly, and in need of some TLC, $60
    Aged (smooth mouth) hackney gelding $160 or 170, sold to the Amish
    Flashy bay QH (said she was a buckskin-my foot she was), 2 yr old, trained for lunge line showing,
    something funny with her back legs- didn't stay to get price..
    There was a grulla colt/gelding, a blk/wht Reg paint filly (coming yearling), and a bay roan/appy mare
    that I didn't stay for. Too depressing and I had a headache...

2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It's a very bad market. THose are kill prices. The worst part of it is that many with insufficient experience and knowledge will say, 'oh a cheap horse!' and buy it. As always I do hate to be a wet blanket (and it pains me to be hated for speaking up) but it's very important to have experience with horses and to learn about them, before getting one and bringing it home.

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    That is really sad. I went to a few horse auctions a couple years ago when a friend was looking for a horse. they bough a nice ex-rodeo pick-up horse for not much and he turned out to be a really, really nice horse. but so many of them sold for almost nothing. to the meat buyer. It was so sad.

At a recent small stock auction there were Great Pyrenees puppies selling for $25 each. They were thin, scared and filthy. If I had been to that auction I would have bought them all just to get them into a breed rescue. That broke my heart to hear about them.

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I sold some goats the other Monday 2 boer weithers.....they went for $105 each. I had $200 into the two of them so after commission and their fees we went home with $180. I also took some little pygmy type goats and got $30 each....all pregnant too. After fees got $75 for all 3.

Cattle seemed to be the only thing really selling well.

There were some alpacas too that went for $25 each about 6 of them their choice. Then the last 3 went as a group for $10 each. $30 for the 3. They were all young and nice looking.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    This is exactly why my hubby and I are trying to find some decent land at a decent price. We can get the livestock part cheap - except the couple of cows he wants. Very sad for the sellers but great for those of us just getting started.

6. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I went to a cattle/horse auction yesterday in Rochester IN,most horses went for between $40 and $70,a few went for a few hundred.And yes most were bid on by the meat buyers.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

On our local craigslist I have seen the prices slowly increasing again. I don't go to the auctions, but I've herd some sad stories. It's a buyers time for sure................. very sad for most animal sales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by