Post your mayonnaise recipes.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by hendrygg, Sep 28, 2011.

1. hendrygg

hendrygg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I made fresh mayonnaise from my own fresh eggs for the first time last night. It is so creamy and delicious!
    I used:

1 whole egg(white and yolk)
    1 tbs lemon juice
    1 tsp vinegar
    1 cup peanut oil
    salt and pepper to taste

I let the egg sit with the lemon juice and vinegar on the counter for a while before adding the oil and emulsifying.

2. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    That sounds really similar to what I do but I also add a bit of sugar. It tastes a lot like Hellmann's that way but creamier and so delicious! I like the taste of using both lemon and vinegar.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I also add powdered mustard to mine. There is a long thread on here re: mayonaise. I love to make it and hate to buy it because it is not as tasty.

4. hendrygg

Sep 18, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Any ideas about how to make it last longer?

5. lara08

lara08 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    Singapore
    "Typically, a couple of weeks. Bear in mind that, when you use lemon juice, the half-life of the zestiness that comes from citrus juices is very short -- as in less than a day (that's why so many recipes insist on freshly squeezed citrus juices). So things that depending on zestiness from citrus, like many mayonnaise recipes, will not be as zesty if kept for very long.

So keeping and top-tastiness are separate matters, as it were.

As the saying goes, you can have it all, just not at the same time...."

-- I just read this message to other forums, but your mayo recipe sounds yummy and very tasty..

Yummy Nasi Lemak [​IMG]

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I triple this recipe to make a quart jar full.

MAYONNAISE

2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 cup oil
    Salt to taste

Put the eggs, vinegar, lemon juice and dry mustard in the food processor and whip it for a second or two to mix it up good. With the processor running drizzle the oil into the eggs in a very thin stream until all the oil is in. Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if it needs more. Some people like to spice their Mayo up a bit with cayenne.

Tip: Mayo keeps 4 weeks in the refrigerator as long as only CLEAN utensils are dipped in it. I put a "due" date on my jar just in case but I’ve never had it last that long.

7. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I had tried to post this earlier but our young kitten Ivy was sitting on the keyboard and not only did I lose this post but an Apple app called Voice Over launched and my iMac was talking like HAL from 2001.
    [​IMG]
    I'm so much trouble my dad loves me to pieces,

The msg I was trying to convey is simple: all these recipes are great. BUT before you crack those eggs put them in a pan of boiling water for 40 seconds, in my world we call this coddling the eggs. Remove with a slotted spoon and proceed as usual.
    This cottling sanitizes the outside of the egg shell AND take the internal temp of the inside of the egg up a bit, if you see some of the white has cooked on the inside of the shell you have a very safe egg to use in mayo or Caesar's Salad.
    I was taught this over and over in all my production classes in chef school and this was SOP in a classy sicilian place I worked in that specialized in top flight catering and wedding buffets.
    I would rather be known for being a safe cook than for making my guests sick with my food...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. hendrygg

Sep 18, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Thanks for the info!

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Is it okay to use the egg white in mayo if you coddle it? I make mine in the blender and my recipe calls for the whole egg.

10. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes I have ALWAYS used the whole egg - that's the way I was taught in chef school too. If you need a lower fat version you COULD use just the whites but doggone I think the yolk is what gives the mayo it's body and richness.
    My wife is on WW and she just abstains from all the stuff that is "bad" that she used to really load up on - mayo is one of them. The only time she uses mayo is on a BLT. Otherwise she uses a low fat Thousand Island as a sandwich spread. It works, and it shows on her, she's lost 60 pounds since she started and has been at her goal weight about 6 months and holding it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by