Post your pics of nipple waterers please & variety of feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 16, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Hubby is building a new coop & I want to try to do the nipple waterers for my chickens. Do full grown chickens catch on to this or do they have to learn when they're chicks? Also, what creative ways have you come up with for these nipple waterers for cold weather to keep them from freezing?

Post pics of your nipple waterers & I'd especially love to see them in use. I know sometime yesterday I saw a close-up pic on here of a chicken's beak up at the waterer but can't find it now. It was so cute! [​IMG]

Also, I can't decide between a PVC feeder or one of the homemade wooden box feeders. I'd love to see some of what all you creative people have come up with. The pros & cons, what you would've done differently or what you want to do, rodent issues, etc.

Also, if you have instructions on how to make the feeder or waterer, please post or if you have already posted it before or if it is on your profile, please put a link.

Thanks! Hope I'm not asking for too much! [​IMG]

2. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Is there a link somewhere with this info?

Thanks! [​IMG]

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I recommend the push-in style of nipple. DO NOT buy the cheapest ones you find from Ebay. They are inferior and WILL leak around the pin, not the outer portion. I started my chicks on nipples and have changed the water system several times. They look for the red and shiny thing and start drinking.
    I have pics posted on my page.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by