1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Post your pics of your silly harvest stuffs! Here are tomatoes!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Sep 19, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As usual I get funky tomatoes... Just thought I'd share... and let everyone else share theirs too! Sadily I have to pick them that color because slugs will get to them and eat out the entire center before it turns fully orange!!! Every year when they are starting to ripen... it starts to rain... and about half of the tomatoes from all the plants freeze when frost hits... If I pick them green as can be... will they ever ripen? I'd rather chance them ripen than get hit by frost... but every year it gets just too cold and I lose everything that hadn't been picked.

wispy ones
    [​IMG]

Lots of these type, they are pretty standard
    [​IMG]

now this guy was freaky!
    [​IMG]

And I like this one. I call it the peeling tomato!
    [​IMG]

2. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My aunt used to grow tomatoes in New Jersey. She picked green, wrapped in newspaper and put them in a box in the attic. During the winter she would go to the attic and bring down tomatoes and unwrap them and they were red.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

homecatmom...I do the same thing...but I put mine in the garage! And we have "fresh" tomatoes for Thanksgiving!!
    Slikiechicken...now THOSE are some wierd tomatoes!! Kewl tho!

4. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Quote:NJ has the best tomatoes

5. silkiechicken

What's the reason for wrapping them? Right now these ripen up inside of boxes. They are stored as a single layer but are open to the air.

6. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't know if the newspaper did anything or not. My aunt said "wrap' and that's what we did...LOL

7. silkiechicken

Haha, you gotta like those one word commands. Maybe wraping them was to keep an accidental spoiler from spoiling everybody? Or maybe like other fruits, when they ripen, they give off ethylene or something to that effect that further induces ripening?

8. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Those are the coolest tomatoes I have ever seen.

9. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    They must be "boy" tomatoes [​IMG]

10. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Green tomatoes are a blessing. Fry those bad boys up for a little taste of the south. Fried green tomatoes, nothing better. Of course, red ripe tomatoes are great, too. I don't even give about half of mine the chance to ripen. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by