Post your SS pics of ten-week olds PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by azygous, Oct 23, 2011.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My four Speckled Sussex chicks are now ten weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets, but you know how that goes. I've had an "accidental" roo in every batch of pullet chicks except for one. I dread this stage, around 10 - 12 weeks, when one suddenly begins to appear different than the others and I begin to experience severe paranoia it could be a cockerel.

Could you folks who have pics of your SS chicks around three months of age post them? Please! Pretty please!!

I need reassurance. All but one of my four chicks look like they're girls. But Judy is a lighter color, is slightly larger, and her tail feathers have a different conformation. Sorry I don't have pics. But her comb and wattles are still very pale like the others. And no green feathers yet, thankfully.

If this thread is still alive tomorrow, I'll go out and snap some portraits.

I'd love to see your three-month old cockerels and pullets! Please share!

2. nincomcoop

nincomcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Here are my girls at roughly the age you're looking for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh! What gorgeous girls! Thank you! The one in the foreground in the last photo looks a lot like Judy! She has a lot more gold in her coloring like that. The other three are darker. Maybe Judy is just a large girl.

This is my first experience with the SS breed. I'm simply blown away by how utterly charming and friendly they are! But mostly, they're the smartest, quickest learners of any of the chicks I've ever raised!

4. nincomcoop

nincomcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Here's how Kimberly turned out! She's the prettiest and she knows it!
    [​IMG]

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Here is Hazel when she was about 3- 3.5 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hazel at 14.5 months old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Terrific! Thank you! Hazel resembles my Judy also! I can envision her as an older Hazel with her golden neck. I'm beginning to feel a little better, now! I was worried, since her coloring is more vivid than her three sisters, she might be a roo.

And Kimberly is a stunner, all right! I have just such a stunningly perfect two-year old GLW, and Irene absolutely does know it, too! There's no living with her! Her two SLW brooder mates are going through their second molt right now, but Irene's every single feather remains intact and perfect. She reminds me of that character on Little House on the Prairie, Nellie. Has a personality like that, too.

7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Gretchen at 3 days old

[​IMG]

Here is Gretchen, my GLW before she began to molt.

[​IMG]

Here she is right before the rest of tail fell out. This is her 1st molt. Poor baby!
    [​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Gretchen was perfect as a baby, and yes, that's what my GLW Irene looks like. I don't think I've ever seen such a pretty chick! If she was human, she'd be Elizabeth Taylor. I wonder if Irene is going to molt. Since every feather is pristine, I doubt there's a need.

9. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    My GLW name is Irene also

10. JulB

JulB Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by