post your winter laying trick here!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickalator, Dec 3, 2008.

1. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    everybody could use some tricks to keep there birds laying during the winter. post yours here!

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Our friends swear by feeding very warm - not dangerously hot - water in the a.m. So we do too. Dunno if that's why, but we do get excellent egg count almost all winter long.

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I have 2 separate coops. One has light all night..the other one doesn't. The light comes from the heat light we have on the momma and 10 chicks we have in a separate cage. The light comes out of a crack..it is enough to give the coop a good bit of light. The coop with the light..almost all of the hens are laying daily..the other coop, I am lucky to get 2 to 3 eggs. There is the same amount of hens in each cage. The light must be the answer!! We get about 2 dozen eggs a day. I hope this helps. DeeJay

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Some one one here said to spike there water with cayenne pepper. So I tried it. I had one of my 10 hens laying before. Two days after I gave it to them 4 others started laying but the one that was laying stopped. But now Im get about 12 eggs a week when I was getting 3 or 4.

5. coopy

coopy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Does any of these tricks bother the chickens or make them sick. Mine was laying 8-9 eggs a day. Then they cut back to 4-6 a day. Today I only got one egg. Think the light might work for me. We put a door on the coop to keep the cold out and they don't come out as much as before. I think I might try a light during the day and see if that helps.

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Are you using extra light in the coop ?

7. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    My chickens have an old horse run in & half of it is open so it gets plenty of light. We have already had 3 blizzards, & I have 8 ISA hens & between the 8 I am getting 6 eggs per day.

So I would have to say they get a lot of light & that makes them lay better for winter. Plus I give them lots of other protein type snacks & good food which I would think makes them happy & happy girls lay more eggs! [​IMG]

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    What protein snacks are you giving them ?

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    warm water every morning seems to keep my ladies happy and yogurt.especially vanilla only.. fussy little girls LOL

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you consider adding light as a "trick" then yes, there is evidence that it can be detrimental in the long run. You can do a search here on BYC about the pros and cons before you decide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by