Posted eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelley, Apr 29, 2008.

1. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    I have just recieved some eggs through the post which look great but how may times do I turn them around when they are proped up for the first 24 hours before I put them in the incubator? Hope that makes sense.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Shelley!

Since you just got them and are letting them settle before you put them into the incubator, you don't need to worry about turning them at all, right now.

I understood you completely and hope that I make sense!

Dawn

P.S. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    If I'm reading your post right, you want to know if you turn the eggs while you're waiting to put them in the incubator...you don't turn them at all. They need to settle down before you set them. In fact I don't turn my eggs for a day or two AFTER I put them in the 'bator. It just gives them more time to settle down. Hope that makes sense. Good luck, and welcome!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Thank you for your replies. I Tryed incubating some eggs and they developed in the egg but never pipped so im having another go and want to try and learn as much as I can so I might get some hatching this time.

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Shelley, I've had mostly bad luck with my eggs, too. But I just know this next batch is going to hatch. I'm on day 17. There is so much knowledge at this website and everyone is very helpful. I would advise you to go to the Learning Center(up at the top of the page) and then click on "how to" pages, then click on "hatching eggs." There you will find more than enough information to help. Good luck

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Even I have had a mixed bag of results with shipped eggs. We all do. I have had a majority of eggs hatch down to 0 eggs hatching. It is a risk we take to get better than hatchery quality stock and new blood into our lines.

Please do have a look in the learning center as suggested. There is tons to be learned about hatching and troubleshooting in the pages there.

Good luck with your hatch.

7. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I have my first ever developing on shipped eggs. I have tried 3 times now with 0 results. So wish me luck !!! I am on day 17 and so far so good. Good luck with yours!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by