Posted in the wrong section so trying this thread! Wrong egg color!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjsgrlsx3, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cjsgrlsx3

cjsgrlsx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    I picked up three black sexlinks and a leghorn at tractor supply last spring and have been getting beautiful eggs for a couple of months. My confusion comes in the color of the eggs! One of the black sexlinks is laying a blue egg! The other two are laying a very dark brown egg with darker spots on it! What is going on! I have 14 hens and one rooster all together. There is no way I am mistaken as I watched the "black sexlink" lay the blue egg! What are your thoughts on this?

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you post a pic? It may be a cross between a Black Sex Link and an Amerucana. Which would explain the eggs.

3. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
  4. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm... He looks part Amerucana. Black Sex Links usually have a lighter face. (The one on the left does not look like a Black Sex Link either... Looks like a Black Australorp. I know because I have one.)

5. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    You are correct....the one on the left is an Australorp! I do have two others that look just like the "black sex link" on the right so I wonder if one of them is giving me the second blue egg?

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Do any of them have a pea comb? That might tell you who is laying the blue egg.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Your bird is neither an araucana nor an ameraucana - they are purebred birds that have pea combs. She is likely an Easter Egger, a mixed chicken that can lay blue eggs.

8. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    I agree with you 1muttsfan! And EE she is. Just thought for sure she was a black sexlink! I am pleased!

9. cjsgrlsx3

Aug 20, 2011
    The only pea comb I have is the naked neck! Lol go figure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by