POSTER GOT ME WONDERING--FEED SURVEY???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by d.k, Oct 18, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* There have been any number of surveys on BYC-- Have we done one on most favorite feed brands???? Who homemixes, etc??

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Nutrena.. Layer Pellets and Meat Bird.. Always fresh and consistent quality....
    I used to go to the mill and get mash but my chickens wasted alot of it.

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Cool! Right now my 2 are on a blend of crumbles: 1/3 Purina Layena 16% to 2/3 Country Acres Poultry 2O% (I got a 5O# C.A. bag free with Miss Perky!)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

We sell and feed the Homestead line all-natural poultry feeds from Hubbard Feeds.

Fast Grow for Broilers
    Poultry Developer for Pullets
    Layer Crumbles for our Layers

Jim

5. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    CountrySide Natural Mixed with Purina

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with this post. I use Nutrena Layer Crumbles. I tried the Tractor Supply brand "Dumor" When I ran out of the Nutrena Layer Crumbles, ( my feed store was closed) but my birds didn't seem to eat it very well. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Purina Layena.......

For the Roos 50% flock raiser and 50% organic feed that a feed store mixes

Start right or organic chicken starter (same feed store...their mix). It depends on how bad of shape the chicks are when i get them. I bought 20 from a feed store (not my local ones!) and every chick in there was wounded. A cat had gotten in their brooder...little ones dead in there too. They also had icky butt and the brooder was registering at 120 degrees. All the lights were on them and it was a 100 degree day! They got vitamin water (sometimes a little baking soda instead) and the medicated start right.

8. Polish

Polish Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2008
    SE Mi
    I have used Nutrena, Purina, and ADM (pen pals), as well as local scratch mixes. I have had good success with ADM's Game Bird Breeder, Nutrena 20% layer pellets, and Purina's Flockraiser. I personally like the feeds higher in protein (than the 16% layer feeds commonly stocked).

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was feeding Seminole's Eggmaker, but the chickies seemed to be backing off the feed. Now Im trying a mixture of Purina Flockraiser and Layena, since I also have young chickens in the coop. They definitely seem to like it better.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Purina Layena.

I have used Nutrena also, but if anyone out there wants to try this, switch to Purina 2-3 bags and you will see an improvement in egg quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by