Posting again... slow developing chick with mass on face.

kira782

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Littleton, Colorado
I posted this a few day ago but got no responses so I figured I would give it another go! Poor little Chicken Alfredo has issues. My other chicks (3 weeks old) are almost all feathered and Alfredo only has a few on the tips of her wings. She's also developed this bald mass next to her beak over the past 5 days. No one appears to be picking on her, she's eat drinking and pooping just fine and she's just as active as every one else although she does act differently than the others, a little more spazzy. This was the bump a few days ago when it first appeared. This morning it was about the same but this evening its bigger. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated!
92406_photo-7.jpg

UPDATE 9/2 - I thought I would add an update incase anyone else encounters this and finds this post! Six weeks later and the chick is going fine! The bump went away slowly but surely with no treatment. She is nine weeks old and still not fully feathered like the pullets that are the same age but she's almost all the way there now.

Last edited:
It's definitely on the firmer side, I wondered today if it might be fluid filled but I'm not sure. If it were fluid filled would I try to lance it?

does it hurt her at all to mess with it?id honestly be kinda tempted to lance it see if it'll drain and put some peroxide or something on it and maybe get some antibiotics started just to be safe.I wish I could help more or had more experience!
hu.gif
hopefully someone with much more experience will chime in and help. It may not be a terrible idea to put her on antibiotics just to be safe tho

Back
Top Bottom