Posting photos

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Blisschick, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Hi everyone...

Not to start a griping session, but just to repeat something that was posted elsewhere -- some of the photos that are being posted are:

1. Too large and taking too long to download for dial-up users, especially when there are several. A lot of people just give up or avoid the post all together, even though they would like to see, too. Many people just don't have access to or cannot afford good Internet connections, so downloading just about anything is a pretty painful process.

2. Too large to be fully viewed in the post. I'd like to see them, but many times the pictures are cut off on one side to accomodate to the size of the board. Often I miss out on seeing the bird.

It is understood that not everyone is completely computer literate and may not know how to reduce the size of the photo, or may not be aware that the photo is huge before they post it. A couple of suggestions to help:

1. Preview your post before you make it. If you find that the photo(s) you wish to share are very large, take the opportunity then to reduce the size before submitting the post.

2. If you need help reducing a photo, please don't hesitate to ask someone to help you. I would gladly help anyone who needs help doing this, and I'm sure there are many other members willing to assist as well.

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    While not having the same concerns, I would also be willing to help anyone wishing to comply with these suggestions.

3. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree with Blisschick, all I have is dial up and it takes forever to download the bigger pics. I have thought about saying something but just haven't.

Photobucket allows you to change the size of picture you're putting out under the upload size. This helps uploading faster for us dialup users.

Thanks Bliss for bringing this up! I love you all, but not all of us have high speed capabilities.

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    OK, I just started posting pics. I up loaded them to photobucket and changed the size. Is there anything else I need to do. Please let me know, b/c mine still seem big to me. We use to have dial up, b/c nothing else was offered in our area until recently & I know it's a pain.

Thanks,
    Kim

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Hi, we don't have dial up, but I haven't posted pics b/c I don't know how to resize them, and i know it's an irritant for dial up users.
    When I finally get around to posting pics-- I will definitely be asking for help. [​IMG]

6. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    yes it is a problem for dial up users. I was once one lol.

Do you know how to add videos to forums??

I can't figure it out

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    You just have to copy the link of the video and paste it in the message. We can't do video here.

8. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    picturetrail resizes for you. Thats who I use.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Good idea Bliss! We have never had anything but netzero dial up, but next week we will, as the Jefferson's show went, be "movin on up"!! Gettin DSL embarq next week, yeah!!!! But yes, right now, I have to skip all the heavy photo threads and the video ones too with my dial up. Can't wait to see what I've been missing!!!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Scrambled egg....you're gonna love DSL.....I got it last fall after only being able to have dial-up. It is so much better and faster than dial-up!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by