Posts being held for moderation?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by chargingcharlie, Aug 13, 2015.

1. chargingcharlie

chargingcharlie Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2015
    Should this still be happening after email verification? Seems like a waste of moderator time once someone has been verified.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    This is a spam preventative measure. Spammers register like legitimate members do and then wait their opportunity.

While it take a little extra staff time, its worth it to keep the spam from flooding the board. This was starting to happen so frequently that we put this measure in place.

3. chargingcharlie

May 29, 2015
    So are you moderating every post from every member? Or do you only do it for a specific amount of time or number of posts? I've been a forum admin in the past, for a fairly large forum, and there are usually easier ways to deal with spammers than moderating all new posts. Is this a specific issue with the huddler forum software? If so, has the site management thought about switching over to vbulletin or something else? Didn't huddler stop providing host level services and management for their forum software about a year ago?

4. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    No we are not moderating every post from every member.

We have criteria that we use to determine that. We are not going to advertise that, though. We are having a great success rate in spam prevention.
    We have an awesome staff of moderators who are hardworking and along with the tools we have at our disposal, it is rare that you see any spam on the boards.

5. chargingcharlie

May 29, 2015
    Thanks for the info. It definitely seem like that have a lot of work, and I'll patiently wait until I can post in real time.

6. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    You are doing a great job keeping spam out.

7. mckylords

mckylords New Egg

Jul 19, 2015
    How long do you hold threads in moderation mine is being held and I would like the answers to my question so I know what to do

8. DuckLady

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The posts are manually released after review. It depends on what Staff is online at the time. Weekends may take longer than usual because of family, etc coming first.

I will go take a look. :)

9. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Here's my chance to say "Good job mods"! We get very little spam here and that is so much appreciated. If something does slip in, members can flag it and it is quickly addressed by the staff. You guys do an awesome job of protecting the site and members from junk.

Thank you!

1 person likes this.
  10. sarahmstarr

sarahmstarr New Egg

Mar 12, 2016
    Mine is being held I have sick ducking and dont own ducks yet someone brought it to me sick. I only know mammals. Plz help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by