Posturing or just wanting pets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarkerChickens, Apr 16, 2008.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    This is an odd questions and I can't find an answer anywhere. When we go out to see the chickens, they run to the gate door as most chickens do, but several run up to us, turn there back to us, spread their shoulder blades to expose their back and tuck there tail (I equate it to arching our backs to get it scratched when it itches). A friend of ours says that is how they posture for mating, but why would they tuck their tail? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? We don't have a rooster, so if that's the case, they are out of luck! Also, if I am petting one, others will run up and try to get under my hand and "posture" the same way. To me, it seems they want to be pet. Anyone have similar experiences?

2. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Your girls are squatting for you. I think they tuck their tail so the rooster can climb on their back. Give them a good scratch on the back near the tail, they will raise the tail. If they haven't started to lay, they should soon. My girls always squtted for DH and I until we got a roo. Now I'm hoping for a broody hen because we have fertile eggs.

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Oh they are laying already....and quite well! We have six hens and get 5-6 eggs a day....every day! They fight over the nest as usual, but a couple try to steal the eggs out from under each other. We would like to eventually let they hatch their own eggs, but one of our neighbors is a cop and he works the lat shift, so he wouldn't appreciate the rooster in the mornings! One of our hens was NEVER friendly as a chick (we names her PIA for Pain in the A**), but now that she is laying she is ALWAYS coming up to is and quite friendly. She is also going to be one of our most broody hens, so maybe that is why.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    They think YOU are the rooster! [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
  6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Not meaning to hi-jack the thread... but it made me wonder.... how does one go about getting a stud service??? Is there such a thing? Couldn't you bring a rooster in for a few days or so and get some fertile eggs going for hatching???? Or won't roos perform on demand? Is it too risky with diseases??

7. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG] Silly chickens!

8. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Hmm...I've never thought about that. That'd be a good idea! Especially for those of us that have neighbors that aren't too friendly to the idea of roosters! I agree that diseases would be in an issue.

9. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    If you can't have a rooster, it doesn't make much sense to borrow one to hatch chicks as you're bound to hatch at least one rooster.

10. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, it allows you to get more hens from the hens you already have and adore [​IMG] You can always do something with the roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by