posume or snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by autumn11, Oct 29, 2011.

1. autumn11

autumn11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    Last nite at around 2am my chickens got really scared about something they running in the coop and making noises and woke every one up. A couple of days a go we found out we have a posume getting in our trash last night my brother cought it and we left it in the trap . So could there be another posume and got to our chickens for taking the posume or could it be a snake trying to find a worm place to sleep.[​IMG]

2. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Well if your weather has been anything like ours, snakes should already be holed up somewhere for the winter. And as for the possum there is usually more than one, and if it has found any easy food source with the chickens then it will come back for the food, not just because you caught the other possum.

3. autumn11

autumn11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Waynesville
    when I found out we had a possum I cleaned up all the trash took it to the dump and we have not have had any trash. why would the possum go to my chicken coop? it has never gone to the coop before. could it be because we keep our trash a few feet away from the coop

I thank it mite be another possum I found white fur around a hole in the coop it would be very easy for something to get in because the hole is right next to a railing.

4. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    there is a possibility that there is more than one possum.however,in my neck of the woods anyway,snakes are still out.i just killed a small copperhead yesterday while working on my chicken pens.
    that being said,i dont think a snake is your problem.most likley you have another possum hanging around,or even worse mabey a coon that you havnt spotted yet.
    KEEP YOUR TRAPS SET!in the last 2 nights i have caught 3 coons!this is after we lost 2 roosters and a hen sometime monday night.

5. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    He would go there because he had a food source there from the trash and because he will eat the eggs, feed, and the chickens inside the coop if he gets a chance.

6. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    Quote:i dont think its because of the trash.it wouldnt hurt to move it away from the coop,but the reason it is trying to get into the coop is because possums,just like coons,go after chickens.they are preditors,and chickens in a coop are easy prey.

7. The Little Country Farm

The Little Country Farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Liberty, MS
    Possums are really aggravating little creatures. I know we trapped at least 10 this year from them coming on our porch and eating our dog food. Which is really gross with them carrying so many diseases. So your trash could be a source of food. I guess they scavenge for anything that smells edible. One day after Christmas last year I had put our tree (we had a real one) outside on the porch and went outside the next day and heard something moving inside the tree and saw something that looked like our Siamese cat and when I looked closer I was nose to nose with a possum! It scared me half to death! Because prior to that we had one on our porch eating the dog food and I got the broom to shoo it away and it literally attacked the broom and was trying to get me! Not cool! They can be aggressive! Not sure if they eat chickens or not though. As for the snakes I've heard of old timers saying to pour a line of diesel around your house (or chicken coop) or you get get a bag of powder snake repellant at most feed stores. Though I'm not sure how effective it is.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the powdered snake repellents are just ground moth balls - cheaper to buy them that way and smash with a hammer.

9. ccw2005

ccw2005 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Covington, Georgia
    Hi!
    Thanks to Jeanette at TSC in Ravanell SC, a new idea was given to me to help snake proof a chicken coop. Probably many here have heard this or know something similar but figured I would share anyway.

I was buying deer netting to protect my roses and she knew I have chickens. She told me that attaching the netting along the sides of a chicken coop and or chicken run is a good way to catch many grown snakes. The snakes try to get in the netting and cant fit, or they may get their head in and that is about it. She told me that she has gone out and found snakes caught in the netting and she then deals with them. If you are having snake problems this could be a solution but might be costly. It is something I will need to consider since the fencing outside of my run is big enough for squirrels to crawl through.

As for the possums and coons, just keep a steady supply of cat food at the other end of the yard. We have a bunch of possums and a few coons, along with foxes that come on the back porch to eat the cat feed. Even though I keep the feed in aluminum trash cans, the buggers work to get the lids off and have a feast. As for the cats, we watch the cats watch the critters. It is all fun and games right now since I haven't lost any of my girls.

10. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:It really is not a good idea to feed wild life. The more you put out the more will come. Sooner or later they will find your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by