1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pot bellied pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by muddyhorse, Sep 13, 2010.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I should not be allowed to go to the critter auction unsupervised. I spent $2.00 no body wanted her and she looked so sad.
    [​IMG]
    Hubby seems ok with this, oddly enough.
    I have never had a pig before we had talked about getting a 4-h pig when kaylee got older and we had a pen. she is a year old and about 50 lbs. she comes to the fence and grunts when she sees us. It took half a cantalope to convince her to let us pet her. she has had a litter and I was offered a breeding with her but I don't think I want to breed her.
    So I have a couple of questions
    I know my feed store has pot bellied pig food does she need that or is regular pig food OK
    how much fruit and veg can she have ?
    anything off the menu last night we had fried chicken can she have the bones or is it a no no ?
    any training tips ?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My potbellie will eat anything, that said that is the biggest problem with them - their weight. You do not want to overfeed too much treat food, as they will pack on the pounds. Mine eat sweetfeed and a little dog food, aswell as pulped fruits & veggies my neighbor brings me. He gets exercise, as I keep him with my 2 fainting goats when they are not roaming the pasture. They also like to chew on hay and use it to make a bed. They are very very smart and you teach them somewhat like you teach a dog, but treats are the best way , LOL

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, Muddy....I've wanted one for a while........

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    And speaking of mud......don't pigs like to wallow in some nice cool mud? I think they LOVE that!

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] Thanks for giving the gal a home. I have four that I just love. Chickenzoo is right about overeating being a big problem. Mine graze on and off all day. I do feed them pot bellied pellets, but only a cup or so a day for each pig. They will fuss and try to tell you that it isn't enough for them. Don't believe them...lol. If you can give her an area to graze in it would be good for her. During the winter I give mine grassy hay to munch on. Veggies are good for them. They love pumpkins and it gives them something to do if you give them to them whole. Fruits are ok too but not as many fruits because of the calories. My pigs free range all day and check each apple tree to eat fallen apples. I don't worry too much about them eating so many apples because it gives them a little extra fat to keep them warm during the winter.
    Pots love belly rubs and if you scratch her from underneath she might flip over for you so you can reach all of the good itchy spots. Give her lots of straw to make her bed in. She will make her bed every night. It's fun to watch them carry the straw in their mouths to make their beds.
    I have the harder plastic round kids pools for my pigs. They have three pools that I dump and refill every night. They sit in them during the day to stay cool. They have a mud hole too. Mine like to be sprayed with a hose too. Just don't let the water splash in her face....they don't like that.
    Have fun with her!

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I'm a little worried about letting her graze in the yard until I know I can get her back in her pen. can she have meat scraps ? I bought the mazuri active adult pig feed. really only 1 cup It is going to be hard to resit those eyes. btw we named her Nora

7. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Aw! No you did a great thing! This is Bella!
    Well some way or another the door to her pen was open in the morning when we got up and she was wandering in the woods. We got some food and she followed me back to the pen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't feed my pigs meat. She probably will eat it. I think the pellets, grazing and lots of veggies are best for them. You can give her quite a few veggies. This time of year you can pick up veggies for animals pretty cheap. Ask fruit stand sellers for their throw aways. A lot of people have apples just laying in their yards. You can ask them if you clean them up if you can have them for free. Most are happy to give them away so they don't have to clean them up. Apples keep a long time if kept in a cool area.
    She looks a little older. The next time you buy feed go with a lower calorie feed. Like maintence.
    Let her get used to you and your property. As long as you don't have dogs chasing her she should be content not to wander too far. It depends on how close your neighbor is. She will get into vegetable and flower gardens so keep an eye on her. When you go to feed her put the food in a can and shake it before feeding her. Then when you do let her out to graze she will come to you when you shake the can. Pigs are VERY food motivated.
    Good Luck with her. I just love their personalities!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by