1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pot Bellied Pigs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenhatcher89, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    I am considering getting some pot bellied pigs. So if whoever has them
    could give me the low down about them and maybe a picture of your
    enclosure would be much appreciated. Also just any basic information
    some one wanting to start with pot bellied pigs should know. [​IMG]

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Pigs are for bacon or makin' manure. 'Bout sums it up.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a little female. She is so sweet. When she hears me yell "here pig pig pig" she comes running and flops down on her side for me to scratch her belly.

I got mine at an auction for $2. All her brother and sisters were there too. I just love her. [​IMG]

Mine doesn't have an enclosure. She runs around our property and sleeps out in a little box. I feed her veggies and some sweet feed all along but she eats mainly off our land. We have a lot of land so she doesn't root the yard up. She likes to hang out in the edge of the woods eating truffles and whatever else it is she finds in the dirt. And my pears....she loves my pears and will gobble them up as soon as they hit the ground.

We named her bacon......I will look for my pics.....

..I will have to reload them. I deleted them to put up pics of soemthing else but there is a pic of her when I first got her on my BYC page.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Mine would have to be in the same field with my horses and goats so the pigs should probably have thier pen then right?

5. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

About 13-14 years ago I had a female potbelly. She was by far the smartest animal I've ever owned. She was a house pig. Litter box trained and all. A word of advice. If you don't want your pig to know how to get into something, like plastic feed containers, don't ever let it see how you got into it. They will remember and help themselves.

We would tether her in various spots in the yard and didn't have a problem with dandelions or cutworms. If you want to have a miniature pig (meaning not big like a standard pig), ration its food and don't give it too many treats.

Pigs sunburn very easily. They don't have much in the way of fur. That's why pigs wallow. They are only trying to protect their delicate skin. Their skin will also chap and crack. Think of chapped lips, but all over your body.

You have to trim their hooves. If you don't it will cause their knees to bend backwards which isn't very good for supporting their dense weight.

Research whether or not you want to have their eye teeth removed as piglets. When they become adults they turn into tucks that stick out the sides of their mouths. Adults can sometimes be temperamental and stubborn. If they get annoyed they are known to swing the side of their faces at you and slice your lower leg open.

Pigs are social animals and need companionship 24/7. If you were only going to get 1 and have it living outside without other peaceful animals as companions, then rethink it.

I have pics, but they're buried in a box somewhere. I miss my pigs. She was awesome. They're not like having a dog. Continue researching before you decide.

Oh, one more thing. Pigs remember people, so warn people not to tease them.

6. Chickenhatcher89

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    Thanks for the great info! I was thinking about getting two pigs, would that be enough to keep them happy?

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yes, two pigs will be fine. I know of several people who have just one pig and they are all happy little pigs. I know one pig that doesn't like the company of any other animals. They are all individuals and will have their own personalities. Mine likes to hang out with the dogs. I think she thinks she is a dog now! She runs around with them and has even started BARKING! LOL Her little oinks will sound just like a bark.

You will LOVE PBPs!

I can't say my little pig is super smart or any smarter than the rest of my critters....she hasn't shown me anything like that yet but we'll see [​IMG]

Keeping it in your horse field would work but they can squeeze right through fencing......You may have to put up hogwire. Mine does fine without any enclosures....but I do live far out in the country and I can't see anyone from any spot of my property.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    The op asked for pics and no one is posting pics don't make me hit the report button

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    OK, OK [​IMG]

Here is my "Bacon" not wanting to share that watermelon. She eventually put her whole body in the watermelon to keep the chickens from getting any.....little piggy LOL

[​IMG]

10. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Here is a pic of my two,
    [​IMG]
    As far as enclosures, Hilda freeranges, at night she has a bed on the deck she sleeps on.

Opie is currently in the house while I finish his pen, I'll try to get pics of it when he's ready to move in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by