Pot belly pig question

Godsgrl

Ostrich wrangler
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
at the zoo usually
A friend of mine has a pbp. She is young, maybe a year or two. She had a pen, but it flooded in the recent rain, so the pig has been loose in the fenced backyard. Not a problem, really, as she has been a really sweet pig.

She'd root some on our legs, but not much. Suddenly though, she has started biting. It's only if you sit down, and only our shoes. What is going on?

I suspect she is asking for food, but the owner doesn't think that's it. Any ideas, and what is the proper response to a (painful) chomp on the foot?

Thanks!

Well..first i have to ask...does the pig have any shelter at all now??? he could be very upset because he lost his house...pigs need a routine..they stress (big time) if you mess up their routine/housing. Is the pig fixed? spayed? that could be it right there. She also could be telling you she wants something(maybe shes cold/hungry..maybe she wants to go to her pen/house)...my pig tries to do that....he whines and tries to nudge my ankles...i dont let him though. Never, EVER let him push/root you in ANY way...or put his teeth on you! You will have BIG problems very soon if you do! My advice would be to make sure the pig has everything she needs first..shelter/warmth/food first. good luck.
smile.png

My PBP occasionally will root on my shoes. It's definitely a sign that she wants something. Usually, since she has an automatic feeder and waterer she just wants attention. She doesn't come in the house, just the mudroom through a dog door, so any chance she can get she makes sure I give it to her.

As for other people, that's another story... she doesn't let anyone else near her. When I saw her at the shelter about a year ago they were concerned that she wasn't going to be adoptable. I visited her every day for a week and never had any problems, so I had to take her home.

I think redhen is onto something. If her home has changed, or isn't available she may be trying to tell you something. "Hey, bring my home back!" If it's flooded out, it may be worth getting a pump so she can get back in there.

Hmmm.....so I was on the right track with Lucy wanting something. Cool! Yes, she has shelter, and some nice places to sleep. Her current favorite is in the hay bales.

Lucy is not spayed, hadn't thought about that. Thank you both so much with your insight into pig behavior. I'll spend some extra time with her, and see if I can figure out what she is trying to tell me. I think it's her tummy, really. LOL Thanks

HEY......you don't talk about me when I ain't here to defend myself missy!!

I can't help that I am a pig, ok. Geesh, I get hungry to you know. I am feeling a little lonely here. Mom is gone all day and all I have to do is hang out with them stupid goats that like to butt me when I ain't looking. Besides, I don't like sharing my food. I hope now that dad has my house fixed again that things will get better. Oh, could you feed me just a little bit more than the usual? I am really sorry I bit your foot mom#2, you know I love you. Thanks for taking such good care of us when mama is not home.

Your friend,
Lucy

I'm not upset with you, Lucy loo. I'm just wanting to know what you are trying to tell me so I can make your life better. You want something, you just have a strange way of telling me. We'll work it out, I'll give you a little extra lunch. Just don't tell your other mommy, okay?

Want some tummy rubs, Lu?

Maybe Lucy just wants a new blanket.
wink.png

IMG_0794.JPG

I'd also look into getting her fixed. I hear that can make a huge difference in PBP behavior. Although I've also heard that many vets cringe at the thought of doing that procedure since it's so difficult. Fortunately Sweat Pea was done before I got her.

Back
Top Bottom