pot belly piggies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cgjsmith, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hey all, We got pig-E-pig Back in march and hes very people shy goes running when we try to touch him and squeals like crazy. No amount of work we do with him has calmed him down. Theres someone giving away pot bellies and we were thinking about getting a Mrs. Piggy for Pig-e-pig. We already plan on getting pig-e-pig fixed. I wouldn't mind a set of babies but Its not our goal. Do ya'll think this would help or make it worse. Crystal

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I know nothing of pot belly pigs but would like to learn so I wanted to get this post back up where someone with real knowledge might see it and be able to help you.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Wouldn't mind raising one for meat! Anyone ever done this? I've read of folks with small homesteads that raise them for meat, but never actually met anyone else that did. Perfect size for home butchering, though, so its a thought!

4. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've known a few people that bought from a sale or raised their own and butchered it, and they said there wasn't enough meat to be worth it.

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:yeah that

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you find one that is very well tempered and really likes people it may help the shy one build confidence. Especially one that will do anything for food. Food is the heart of a potbelly. [​IMG]
    P.S about the eating thing, friends ate one - said it was mostly fat and taste was not worth it. I'll just keep to keeping them as pets!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. Bean

Bean Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I personally find that if you have pig that you want to become friendlier with people the last thing you want to do get another pig. If he is not neutered yet and get a female to breed with him he is going to bond with the other pig and want nothing to do with you. Be fore you breed pot bellies look into how much demand there is in your area for pet pigs, because you could end up with 12 piglets. If no one wants them you will be stuck with numerous adult pigs and spaying and neutering can be pricey. His behavior will also become more aggressive because of his out of control hormones. You may just kill your chances of having a friendly lovable pet pig. My pig Pickles hates other pigs with a passion and someone had given me another spayed female a few months ago and Pickles was absolutely miserable with another pig around so I had to give the other pig away! My grandmas pig when I was a kid was an unneutered 400lb male commercial hog that lived in the front sun room of the farmhouse. He was such a friendly pig until the neighbor got pigs and he picked up the scent of female pigs, made his way over to the other pigs and bred with a few of them. After that got really aggressive so she had to neuter him but he never was quite as friendly as before, and ended up having to live in the barn.

I would just neuter your pig and then keep trying to feed him treats by hand and just give him time. He should eventually come around but you may never end up with a really friendly cuddly pig.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have 2 un-neutered male potbellies that live together. They enjoy each other and Wilbur, the older of the two is still just as friendly as he was by himself. I'm sure if he was with a girl that would change to a point.I think it depends on the pig. Neither is aggressive to us, or really to each other or any of our other animals. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well..if you want him to bond with you..(how old is he?)..i wouldnt get another pig right now..also..fixing them..helps alot....i have an adult PBP...Hammie..he's fixed...he's about a year old..and hes very tame..but i wanted him to have a friend..so i recently purchased another male piglet..who was not hand tame at all!!..it was a nightmare!..but..he's getting alot better now..its only been a couple weeks..i have him in a pen my husband made..in my house..with his litter box..and we just keep going up to him...giving him treats..not to much though.(scrambled egg is his favorite)..talking quietly to him...etc..they say to let the piglet come to you..dont force yourself on him..but..he would of never came to me....[​IMG]..so..i just picked him up(with him screaming like crazy)...and in a second..he stopped..and quited down..then i gave him a good treat..(while still holding him)...but he HAS to stop screaming..to earn the treat....i also..will sit in his pen with him..with the treats..and make him COME TO ME for them..i have him crawl on my lap to get the treat...pigs will do anything for food!![​IMG]...pigs are very smart..and will manipulate you..honestly....he HAS to associate you with good things..pigs NEVER forget..and will remember if if a bad deed has been done to them..and then it will very hard..to ever get them to trust you again..also..they dont like to be touched from above(its a prey instinct)...but LOVE a belly scratch..they will usually flop on thier side..(even my un-tame piglet did when i started to scratch his belly and side).....geez..lol..i quess i'm VERY long winded.:|.. ..sorry about too long post..please pm me if you have any questions...best wishes with him..Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by