pot belly pigs - looking for info/answers!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by birdbrain5, Jan 18, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I just got a baby pot belly pig, a little female. I contemplated getting two because I didnt want her to be lonely, because she is going to be an outside pig and not inside. She has her own 10x10 horse stall deep with shavings and she has a little dog crate to go in for her "house". She seems fine so far by herself, but I can only get out there when I can get out there, so I feel like she may be lonely! I know they are very smart, like a dog so I didnt know if they would be lonely like a puppy might be? The woman I got her from said she thought the pig would be fine by itself, and that maybe if I got two they would bond to eachother more so than bonding to me. Any thoughts? How do you all keep your piggies?
    Also- how do I teach it to go to the bathroom in one corner, or a little box, and what kind of box would work that it wouldnt grow out of? do you use cat litter, or sand?
    -how do you have your piggies feed dish and water dish set up, every time i go out the feed dish is burried on the other side of the stall because she roots it around! lol and her waterer either tipped or full of shavings.
    -i thought i might get a male in the future to breed them, how old should my female be before i let her get pregnant? and if a male and female lived together, how often would they have litters, and should i keep them seperate?
    -and i was wondering how i could set up her stall so she could be entertained during the day, do yours play with toys or anything? I thought maybe where she played with the feed bowl she might play with a toy?
    -and lastly.. how old until i can let her out loose and know she will stick around and come back to her stall at night? i have dogs (friendly) chickens and horses, so shes not the only animal out and about

thanks! any info and advice is appreciated!

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Pigs are social creatures. I would highly recommend getting another as soon as possible. She will absolutely be lonely. Having more than one will not prevent them from bonding to you. Spend time out there and they will come to know you well and be happy to greet you and "beg" for whatever treats they think you may have. Frankly, I'd be reluctant to purchase swine from anyone calling themselves a breeder who gives out such misinformed information. But then, that's the potbelly pig market for you.

As for breeding her. Why? Is she a particularly astonishing example of the breed? If not I would strongly recommend you not breed her. Potbelly pigs are a dime a dozen, poor/pet quality ones are a penny a dozen. If you just want "piggies" that is really not a good reason to breed her. These days most people would not think of breeding their poor quality mutt just to have a litter of puppies, but the logic that makes it taboo socially has yet to be applied to the pet swine industry. It's high time that changed.

For letting her out, is your property fenced? She will not necessarily stay -- at ANY age -- if it is not. Once she learns when mealtime is she'll likely come back for that daily, but there are no guarantees and the world at large can be a dangerous place for a pig.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I agree with Olive Hill, especially on the breeding, especially since you need to do more research. I cant stress enough...read, Read, READ!
    As for something for her to play with, old bowling balls work great & you can sometimes find them at yard sales for a few dollars.

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:X3

basketballs are great toys for piggies, and a mud pit will be a delight to them, but a friend will be more. I am getting some this spring and I have been doing a ton of research, these animals are so sociable and so intelligent that without a friend, and being bored it will not thrive accordingly. when I get mine I will be getting 2, both females because I do not want to end up with a ton of piggies.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    She NEEDS a friend if shes going to be outside by herself. But if there are other barn yar dpets she can hang around with..she should be okay. I guess.. But..
    I, personally, would never have a pig alone outside by themselves.
    My pigs like when i poke holes in a 2 liter bottle amd put a couple cups of food in it for them... they roll the bottle all over and eat the food as it falls out of the holes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:great ingenuity Redhen, will have to steal this idea when I get my piggies [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    She NEEDS a friend if shes going to be outside by herself.

I agree with redhen. Especially if she is a baby.
    With her being in a stall that big she will probably pick her own potty corner. You can put a litter pan in that corner.
    The best thing I found for feeding/watering my pigs with are the heavy no tip dog water bowls. The big black plastic 2 sided works best. The pigs can't tip that over.
    Pigs love to root and when it's hot out play in childrens swimming pools. The pop bottle is a good toy idea. You can also sprinkle cheerios all over her stall and let her root around to find them.
    If you can't get her a pig friend try getting her a kitten. Cats and pigs seem to like hanging out with each other. If you have barn cats you might have to coax them into her stall with food. But once they figure out that she is a nice warm place to nap they might go in by her on their own. My barn cats sleep with my pigs.
    Good Luck with her. They grow so fast, enjoy her while she is a baby.​

8. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    thanks for all the tips.

she did pick a corner to potty in, of course its the corner with the door lol oh well. what do i use for litter for the littler box? is cat litter ok? or something else.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I, personally, wouldnt use cat litter.
    I use pine shavings...
    As for the box... i first used a DOG litter box.. (petco/pet stores sell them), They work great.
    Now i use a VERY shallow under the bed tote... Its probably only 4 inches high and works good also.

10. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    ok great idea thanks.

id also like to ask you how much you feed your pigs, and how many times a day? i know over feeding is a big no-no, but i do want to make sure im feeding enough while shes young, and when shes older. im feeding a pelleted feed and i soak it to make mush, should i always do this or can i stop when shes older?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by