pot pies anyone???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Sissy, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Does anyone have a good
    ham or chicken pot pie receipe?
    that dont taste bland..with out
    the use of extra salt?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have a quicky not homemade recipe... It takes ten minutes to put together and we love it...

Buy: 1 package (2 Shells ) Deep dish pie crust, 1 large can of Veg All ( I like the homestyle its chunky), 2 cans cream of chicken (or one l;arge) and 2 boiled or grillled cubed chicken breast, heat oven to 350 in large mixing bowl add all your wet ingredients, seperate pie crusts put one on wax paper (dont let it thaw too much or its hard to pick up) pour mix into pie pie crust and cover with other crust, make a few slits in top crust for air release, bake til top ios golden brown..

Your first few will be ugly(atleast mine were) but they will taste yummy... Now you got me thinking about I 'm gonna make one for dinner. Don't know about ham never tried..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes, yes i do! i use this recipe, but i have changed it some for my use. it is excellent. it is from Cooks.com

you can adjust things to taste, and it will be excellent.

This recipe substitutes more vegetables for the dumplings. A regular prepared pie crust is very good, but the puffy pastry is elegant and delicious.

(remove meat from carcass & reserve 2 c. of the broth)
    1/4 c. (1/2 stick)
    butter 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 c. milk
    1 tbsp. fresh tarragon or 1 tsp. dried tarragon
    1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
    1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced fine
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    2 c. cooked carrots, sliced into 1/4" rounds
    2 c. cooked green garden peas
    1 recipe for prepared pastry shell or 1 lg. sweet prepared puff pastry
    1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp. cold water as a glaze

Place the chicken in a large pot and cover with water. You may wish to add some fresh herbs, an onion and a carrot for enhanced flavor. Bring the pot to a boil and turn the heat down to medium. Continue cooking until chicken meat is tender, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from the pot, reserving 2 cups of the strained broth. After chicken has cooled remove meat and giblets and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a saucepan over moderate heat; blend in the flour, add milk and broth. Continue to heat, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened. Add the chicken meat and all seasonings, cover, and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in cooked carrots and peas, and turn the entire mixture into an ungreased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.

Prepare the pastry and roll into a circle about 3 inches larger than the rim of the casserole dish. Make 3 steam slits near the center of the pastry. Dampen the rim of the dish, fit the pastry dome over the top, roll the overhanging edges under, and crimp to seal. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg glaze.

Bake the pot pie about 30-40 minutes or until top is browned and the pie is bubbly. If you use the puff pastry crust, the cooking time will be about 25 minutes. (You may wish to place the casserole dish on top of a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan to avoid spills.) To serve, cut wedges of the pastry and ladle the chicken mixture on top.

Serves 6.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Here's a really quick, easy one if you have the cooked chicken around. The grandkids always want me to fix this.

1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom, or cream of celery)
    2 C chicken broth
    1 onion, chopped
    1 whole chicken, cooked and boned
    veggies of chioce, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups: sweet peas, mixed veggies, snow peas, broccoli florets, cut green beans, cooked diced carrots, etc., or some combination.

crust: 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 2 1/4 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 cups milk.

Preheat oven to 350. Spread chicken pieces around the bottom of a 13X9 pan. Heat rest of ingredients except crust to boiling in a large saucepan, then pour over chicken. Whisk crust ingredients together in a bowl, then pour over pie, distributing evenly. Bake about 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is browned.

The crust ingredients rise to the top and make a biscuit-like topping.

You can also make the crust with self-rising flour (omit baking powder) or a Bisquick type mix (use 1 1/2 cups Bisquick and 1 cup milk.) And of course, it does not have to be a whole chicken. I sometimes make it with about 4 hind quarters: simmer in water to cover about an hour, and use the cooking water for the broth in the recipe.

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

6. Sissy

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    thanks everyone
    Todays the day I will be cooking. and stocking up the freezer for the summer company .. if they changed their minds
    hooray more for us LOL

Sissy

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use this recipe it's really good.

REAL CHICKEN POT PIE

chicken breasts, boneless
    2 cups rice
    1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
    1 can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken & Herbs Soup
    carrots and potatoes, in quantity desired
    1/4 minced Vidalia onion (for flavoring)
    1 can of corn, drained
    1 can of peas, drained
    1 or 2 clove garlic, minced
    3 tubes Pillsbury's crescent rolls
    Note: Any vegetables you prefer can be used in this recipe

Preheat oven to 300°F.
    Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. (Use Lawry's seasoning salt). Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, then sear meat in hot olive oil in a skillet on both sides (just to lock in flavor - not to cook the meat).

Remove from stove top and place chicken on a broiling pan in a pre-heated oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, in a tightly covered stew-pot of very low heat, cook the rice, stewing potatoes, carrots, peas, in a small amount of water, and adding more water as is needed. Stir often, but keep mostly covered so the vegetables can steam. When the vegetables are beginning to cook, stir in the two cans of soup, and the minced onion during the cooking.

If you want the sauce to thicken, simply cook a little while longer; to thin out add a small amount of water.

Remove chicken from oven and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes to allow all the meat to cool, then strip chicken meat from bones in bite sized pieces. Add the chicken to the vegetables and sauce.

Any kind of pre-made pie crust will work, but Crescent Rolls can be relied upon for a good result. Press the Crescent Rolls into a large, deep, casserole dish, making sure that no seams are present. Then pour or scoop filling into dish, filling in all pockets.

Cover with remaining Crescent Rolls, and bake at 350°F for approximately 11 to 15 minutes.

8. Sissy

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    ddawn.
    thanks receipe is
    Delishes with my left over chicken pieces.
    I did however use ready made pie crust
    and left out the snow peas
    didnt have any in the pantry... cooked
    all the veggies before adding to it.
    today I have to try the others..with my left over ham..
    But think i will leave out the carrots
    with the ham,Peas and broccoli will have to do..
    I better get it done while
    Im in the mood and the evenings are cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by