Potato candy????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KDbeads, Dec 16, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I've been trying to figure this one out for years now, hoping someone here might know what I'm talking about. My dad's aunt made these for us all the time, when we asked her recipe she told us one baked potato, one box of 10X sugar and peanut butter. She has long since passed and took the mix to her grave.
    Can't figure it out but here's the general description of what they look like... Looks like the potato mixture is spread on a mat, peanut butter spread over it and then the whole thing is rolled up like a jelly roll and then sliced into coins. This stuff was never sticky, never goopy, always like soft candy mints in texture. This year like several in the past I'm craving it.

Help?

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    probably the type of potatoe you are using (there are waxy types/dry fluffy types and in-between types) > try a different type of potatoe than you currently use.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    we have a recipe for tater candy we love it but moma thinks its a little sweet
    (kinda reminds you of peanut butter fudge the type of tater candy im talkin about i imagine its the same)ill try to get you the recipe

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I have tried to find the recipe for years too, our neighbor made it for us, but I don't remember it being rolled up and cut into coins, I remember it looked like little pillows, but I was really little, and all I remember is I loved it!

6. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Now i wanna try this... [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My mother was a master candy maker and pie and cake baker. The potato candy was my DH's and my kids' favorite! Mash one large boiled or microwaved potato, add confectioners sugar till it's dry enough to roll out, spread peanut butter, roll up in wax paper, cut slices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by