Potato leaves nibbled at - one chicken looking poorly

michellemares

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
My chickens are now 8 weeks old, and they've just started free ranging in my backyard. I have some potato plants where the chickens like to hide and have their dust baths. I've read that chickens don't like the taste of potato leaves which are poisonous and generally won't eat them, however, there are a few nibbled leaves on one of the plants. Today, one of my chickens looks tired and has very watery poop. Will she just feel sick for the day or do I have to worry about her possibly dying? Is there something I can give her?

She is still eating and drinking but has to stop and close her eyes every once in a while. She seems tired - like how I feel if I have the flu or something....

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle

If they just started free raining and have not been exposed to the soil, keep an eye on them and see if they stay lethargic/lose weight, if so, the most common thing for new to soil never exposed chicks are cocci beause they haven't had the chance to gain immunity from early exposure. My birds have eaten potato leaves, tomato leaves, and had one young turkey eat half the leaves off the a 3 foot round rhubarb plant. I don't think it's the leaves alone.

Thank you. It's a relief to know that I don't have to babysit their every move and that a few potato leaves aren't going to kill them... This particular chicken has had watery poop before, but she bounced back. They have been outside since the warmer weather but in a small enclosure. It's only in the past few days that they've truly been free to roam. I hope she'll recover from this, and I hope it's not the dreaded cocci....

Back
Top Bottom