Potato Peelings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zark, Dec 10, 2007.

1. zark

zark Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    [I read somewhere not to feed potato peelings. Can someone tell be what is the problem with potatoes or the peelings??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    The raw peelings contain higher concentrations of solanine than the rest of the potato. However, if the peelings are cooked you can feed them to your chickens.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They can't digest raw potato peelings well. Well-cooked however, I would think, should be fine.

4. zark

zark Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. I knew I read somewhere that potatoes were a problem. We often have some left after meals. It just seemed a shame to toss what could be a great treat for the chicks. Now that is another recyclable we will put to good use.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Zark, I have found that hens like carrot peels even better.

A few moments in the microwave makes them tender.

Steve

6. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
  7. zark

zark Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have eight Barred Plymouth Rocks and they do have things they will not eat. The other day my wife handed me some Celery tops. They ran to me like they always do when seeing greens. But after getting a beak full they quickly shook it out, then went about wiping off their beaks. They would not take anything out of my hand for two days.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    That is a very helpful chart, IHeartChickens!

I've been trying to come up with more things I can grow in the garden that would be healthy food for the hens. I've seen "authoritative" advice that has gone all the way down to "don't feed anything but commercial formulas."

The links DLHunicorn provides are really well worth looking at. The Canadian universities especially seem a little more willing to entertain the notion that a backyard flock can be fed a healthful diet that isn't identical to what the factory farms provide. The keys seem to be variety, balance, and not to lower the protein percentages too much. Of course, we don't want to give the birds anything harmful.

I know that it has been talked about here but it is worth repeating the nutritional superiority of the eggs from pastured hens:
    • 1⁄3 less cholesterol
    • 1⁄4 less saturated fat
    • 2⁄3 more vitamin A
    • 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
    • 3 times more vitamin E
    • 7 times more beta carotene
    October/November issue, "Mother Earth News"

Steve

9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

That "study" is quite interesting, however the big issue I have with it is that they used a chart of supposed egg values rather than side by side wet chemistry comparisons between "pastured" and conventionally produced eggs.

Jim

10. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    So will feeding peelings to them do? I have fed these to my birds for a while now, should I be worriedo or just stop? Are there any other kinds of veggies that they shouldn't be fed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by