Potato Peels

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by paganfish, Nov 8, 2007.

1. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    OK, so I know that potato peels are NOT good for chickens. They aren't able to break them down...or their bodies don't. My question is can they eat potato peels IF they are cooked? I cook a lot of potatoes and I end up putting the peels in the compost pile but, was wondering if I cook them all real good...will that be OK?

~c:->

2. Rocket Raley

Rocket Raley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    According to Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (Chicken Bible) Page 53. Don't feed raw potato peels, which chickens can't easily digest - cook potato peels or avoid them.

3. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:Hummm...well, I was thinking of boiling them til they are cooked...but, it's no biggie. They'll just have to do without them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  4. Rocket Raley

Rocket Raley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    I think what he is saying is it's ok as long as they are cooked but not if they are raw. Me personally, I don't risk it and put the skins in the compost pile.

5. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    What happened to my post?? [​IMG] . did i say a bad thing? Didnt mean no harm.

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    i feed mine potoato peels to mine and they love them...

7. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    But you have antlers coming out of your goats head! What on earth is arising from the chicken's heads and is it from potatoes?

My chickens love tomatoes, I avoid potatoes BUT how about other nightshades? Should we also veer from eggplant, peppers, etc?

8. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i eat baked potatos all the time and toss the skins out there. its the first thing they go for.

9. paganfish

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:LOL! the people here did that once, by accident. I had told them NO citrus fruit, NO onion/garlic and NO potato or other tuber skins!!! Well, they (sort of) forgot about the latter part and were all wringing their hands as they told me they fed them the left over baked potatoes since they didn't think I meant, *unless it's cooked* and you know, "I'm just a crazy city slicker anyway so what do I know, right?"

(They've since, decided to just put the stuff in the "chicken fud" bin and let me sort it all out. FUN!)

They were fine...my chickens that is. That is why I was asking...I had thought of boiling the skins left over from peeling potatoes and giving them to the ladies once they've cooled off-mixed in with their *other* treats!

Thanks for all your replies...I didn't mean to sound abrupt. LOL! Harly, I appreciate it! I guess with this forum thing going...it's hard to say or read things the way they were meant, huh?

Pedro ~c:->

10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I've given my potato peels before but I chop them up real fine. Plus they get any left over food including boiled, fried, baked and they haven't had a problem. Now I've read that they can't eat the green plant tops off the potato's that are growing in the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by