ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
This is a potato plant, right? Only guessing that because of the giant potato it appears to be growing out of but I have no clue :lol: Found it growing in the compost pile, which I evidently haven't checked in a while, and thought it was pretty cool. If it IS a potato, do I need to do anything to it? It looks really healthy, besides some holes. And how will I know when the potatoes are ready? If it is NOT a potato plant, what is it?

20180629_164350.jpg 20180629_164358.jpg 20180629_164409.jpg 20180629_164433.jpg 20180629_164441.jpg 20180629_164446.jpg 20180629_164558.jpg 20180629_164611.jpg

Yes!
Put it back in the compost pile and come back and check on it in about 2 months or when the plant yellows, looses leaves, and withers!

I didn't move it but I was told I should bury it deeper??

...wait... I thought potatoes free underground???

The potato in the picture is a moldy one I had placed outside not a new one growing. Apparently a potato plant grew from it though lol

The moldy potato has become the seed for a new plant.
That’s how it works!
Loosen up the soil where you’re going to put it.
Plant it deeper.
How deep you ask?
Very deep. So deep that just the tips of the top leaves are above the soil line.

The leafy part of the plant will re-emerge in a few days.
Or you can mound soil up around it (called hilling)

Some people grow potatoes in tires, straw-bales, personally I use laundry baskets!

The moldy potato has become the seed for a new plant.
That’s how it works!
Loosen up the soil where you’re going to put it.
Plant it deeper.
How deep you ask?
Very deep. So deep that just the tips of the top leaves are above the soil line.

The leafy part of the plant will re-emerge in a few days.
Or you can mound soil up around it (called hilling)

Some people grow potatoes in tires, straw-bales, personally I use laundry baskets!

Thanks! I think I'm going to put some sort of barrel or something over it with the bottom cut off sp that way I don't risk killing it by moving it. And then I'll fill it with compost and soil. Might buy some soil.

I wonder if I can grow sweet potatoes from a potato spud?

Thanks! I think I'm going to put some sort of barrel or something over it with the bottom cut off sp that way I don't risk killing it by moving it. And then I'll fill it with compost and soil. Might buy some soil.

I wonder if I can grow sweet potatoes from a potato spud?

Yes you can !
but You can also buy little transplants.
Sweet potatoes really flourish in hot weather.

Back
Top Bottom