Potato plants and chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LisaChick1, Jan 28, 2015.

1. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    So I'm planning my vegetable garden which will be fenced off from my flock, but I'm going to be planting potatoes. Problem is the best place for planting them is right near the fence where they would get full sun and there's great soil.... but I'm weary of the plants growing through the fence a bit and the chickens eating the greens off for them... I have heard bad things about chickens eating green potatoes of course but also that the plants can be toxic etc. My question is, Would the flock know instinctually not to eat this.... It would really benefit our family to grow this crop and there aren't any other areas I have space or proper light to grow it, but I do not want to put my chickies in danger. Does anyone have experience with growing potatoes around chickens and if it is dangerous or if they would naturally pass it up? Again it would be fenced off but potatoes get large and I'm sure some greens would like through the fence.
    Thanks in advance

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As long as they have access daily to plants which are acceptable for them to eat, I wouldn't worry about it a bit. If you're terribly concerned, you could put a plastic barrier of some sort between the potatoes and the fence.

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I was also wondering the same thing as I was going to use potatoes as a "border plant" around my run..... Are they toxic?

4. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    Hi there!
    So I ended up fencing my chickens off away from the garden and I let them free rang outside of our fenced yard now so they can't touch the garden... But this is what I found on it (link below) says chickens should not have access or be fed plants part of the night shade family which does include potatoes and tomatoes... But says if they do free range they'll most likely avoid it as they aren't dumb... But if cages near it and there's not much else available they'd likely go for it and it is toxic supposedly but I personally don't think a little would do anything.. Hope that helps!!! [​IMG]

http://www.keeping-chickens.com/poisonous-plants-to-chickens/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    All those "tater" bugs that your little chickens will pick off of your potato plants could result in some seriously overweight chicks. [​IMG]

In other words, don't worry about your chickens, they'll be fine, but you'll more likely have to stand guard over your "tater" patch just to prevent
    your chickens from killing the vines. [​IMG]

6. SD Bird Lady

Ok, I'm going to try it out... Nothing ventured nothing gained. I was thinking potatoes because they never bothered the plants in my garden when they range but the fruits always got ate, figured this way they won't get to the "fruit" since its underground. They aren't penned up very often so I think I'm going to try it and if it doesn't work I'm only out about 5-10 dollars.

7. SD Bird Lady

I was just going to do it and then purely by accident seen a list of poisonous plants and thought maybe I should check. I had my doubts about the list though as half the plants listed are on our property and my chickens have eaten navy beans on many occasions and everyone is healthy and happy.

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Yes, hens do grow fat and sassy on navy bean vines, but if your chickens are like mine, I bet that they have gas.[​IMG]

9. SD Bird Lady

Nothing worse than a hen that is full of hot air [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hi, I haven't read the responses carefully but here is my 2 cents:

My chickens were turned into my very small potato patch when I gave up on my garden one year, and they ate everything. They even dug up a potato or two and ate them too. No ill effects that I could tell. But yes they are supposed to be a poisonous plant to humans at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by