1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

POTATO POWER- power outage

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 9, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    We had the power go out today, so after finding out the repairs were expected to take 7 hrs or so I freaked. I am on day 12 with my eggs, and once the bator hit the 80's I was ready to sit on them myself [​IMG] . Then I remember something dh(military man) told me when our heater had a problem this past winter. He told me to cook a potato and stick it in a sleeping bag and climb in (kids especially), just info to have he said. Well I took my potatoes out of my fridge wrapped them in foil and threw them on the grill. I moved all the eggs in the bator to the outside and put the potatoes in the middle, then took my son's battery hand fan to circulate the heat. Got it up to 95, but I figured for a few hours it was definitely better than 82. Good new is the power came back on just as the fan started to die [​IMG] . Oh, and my poor silkie babies got put in a large shoe box and wrapped in a comforter in dd's room which was about 81. Geez these chickens are a lot of work [​IMG]
    Krista
    edited for spelling

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That's very creative - congrats!!! Hope you have a great hatch!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    definite down side, humidity went up to 71 but I figured it was only a couple of hours. It was hard to weigh which one was more important temp up or humidity down [​IMG]
    Krista

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Thanks!
    Good luck with yours too!
    Krista

5. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    [​IMG] After all that I am definately sending you good hatching vibes! You deserve them!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by