potatoe peels

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hoosiergal, Oct 24, 2008.

1. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    Should you feed potatoe peels to your chickens? I have heard pro's and con's to both answers.

hoosiergal

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Uncooked potatoe peels are toxic to the chickens!

3. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    thanks for the info. that is good to know about the toxic stuff.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It's the uncooked green potato peels that have toxins that can make your chickens (and you) unahppy.

5. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I feed mine potato peels. I've never had a problem...I do know that green potatoes are toxic

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I tried to feed them to mine before i knew about the toxicity and they wouldn't eat them anyway.

There's a chart on what & what not to feed in the Learning Center (click on the blue linke next to BYC Home at top of page).

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so its only the green ones that are toxic?, thanks:)

8. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    I've been feeding potato peels to my chickens for YEARS, long before I ever knew they were supposed to be toxic. Depending on what else is available, they may not be the favorite thing on their menu.

My current batch of blk stars really like them. Has anybody personally experienced any adverse reactions? My mother fed potato peels to our chickens when I was a little girl, so I never gave it a second thought.

Never thought about the 'green peels' either ... though I don't think we get that many potatoes with green peels. I personally prefer red potatoes.

9. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    So I have never even seen any potatoes with green peels, but if I ever run across any I surely will not give them to the chickens. I learned something new! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I'm going to recycle my response to the same question last Winter:

If the concern regarding potatoes is the toxic substance solanine (Plants Poisonous to Livestock, Cornell ) - you should know that cooking does not destroy this toxin.

The peelings and sprouts have much higher concentrations of solanine than the starchy parts of the potato.

The "greening" of the potato occurs when it is been exposed to sunlight. This also indicates that solanine may have begun to develop in the potato.

So, neither raw nor cooked green peelings and sprouts should be considered safe.

And yes, I've fed cooked potato peels to chickens many times.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by