potatoes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by richje100, Oct 24, 2009.

1. richje100

richje100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    Hi, i feed my hens on all the salad & veg peelings when ever i get some. they especially seem to enjoy potato peelings.
    will these harm them?
    also, i have a bag of potatoes that i was going to throw out until i remebered the hens. if they can eat them, is it easier to cut them in half, quarters?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hmmm.... this is a much debated topic on BYC. Some had fed the peelings for years and say they've had no problems.

But greenish potato skins contain solanine, which can be dangerous, even to people if enough is ingested.

I reached a compromise situation- I don't give them potato peels, but I do give them COOKED potatoes. Never raw.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ranchhand is right. The green potato skins contain a substance that is poisonous to humans and chickens. I know of no reason to not feed regular potato skins, whether from white, red, or sweet potatoes. I'm comfortable with that, but many people are not. Your choice.

4. richje100

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    thanks guys,
    we i live the councils are getting busy making us all recycle food into special food bins. id rather feed as much of it to my hens as possible.
    ill try boiling the spuds & feeding them. makes sense to make them soft so they can chomp on them with no effort.
    thanks again.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Whatever the chickens don't get is composted. Except meat products, we have enough predators already. Did you know even paper towels and napkins can be composted?

6. richje100

May 20, 2009
    UK, Wales
    do people feed meat to their chickens?
    we've got to recylce everything thats recyclable or face a hefty fine.
    what "human" fodd cant i give to them? my children like to eat oven cooked potato shapes (letters, smiley faces etc..) these are cooked from frozen, could they eat these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by