potbellies and chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ther00ster'scr0w, Dec 19, 2010.

1. ther00ster'scr0w

ther00ster'scr0w Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bay Area CA
    I am thinking of getting a potbelly pig soon and the person I would get them from has some but I'm not sure of the ages.

I have a chicken coop for them that is large enough for me to build a separate covered place for the pig to sleep, but would share a run with chickens.

Would the chickens be fine with the pig?

Any suggestions would be great!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My pigs are great with my chickens..they even eat out of the same bowl sometimes. and my geese and male duck beat them up.. [​IMG]
    But..my pigs were raised with them from piglets. So they dont see the chickens as food..
    I have heard of some bad stories about the pigs eating the chickens.... so... i dont know...

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    our little piggie is only 5 months old. He loves to chase the birds. He herds the ducks and geese into the pond. He hasn't tried to hurt them, but he is still young.

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have 'mini' pigs and the majority live with chickens/turkeys/ducks etc but theres a few that cant, even though they were raised from piglets with the birds the do attack/kill them. so i guess it depends on the pig. also dont forget pigs can and will dig...deep....so make sure your run is well dug into the ground. they will also 'eat' and chew on wood...so if your run is made from wood...its not gonna last too long......

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Our PBP is great with the chickens and waterfowl....I just would be careful about the piggy eating to much of the laying feed etc....exspecially corn...as they really bloat up ...
    Our Bella free ranges our yard and comes a running when called ....always have a pocket full of treats for her ..
    Also I dont let our Pot belly pig in our coop as I have three pens sectioned off inside using just plain chicken wire and she will go right through it to sniff around and eat any feed ...

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I forgot to mention we don't allow our piggy in the coops any more because he will eat the feed if he can reach it and he has learned to really like eggs [​IMG] Bad piggie! He has a really shiny coat though. [​IMG] This is mainly with the waterfowl coop though as they are the ones that lay on the ground.

7. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    We have to keep ours out of the pen, she does the same.. eats eggs and feed. Dosen't chase the chickens at all but she does eat all the food and eggs she can find.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would suggest a separate pen or run. My PB is fine with my chickens but he does like eggs and feed and is very very good about finding a way to get to it. The chickens stand on top of him or lay on him and eat his food... he tolerates it well. He is about a 4 year old boar now and grew up around them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by