Potbelly "Mini" Pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kerusnak, May 1, 2017.

1. kerusnak

kerusnak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    South Mississippi
    We just got Mardi a supposedly mini pig. All the adults at the farm were pretty small, 50ish pounds max. I didn't realize how tiny he would be at 8 weeks old. He seems like he is maybe 5 pounds. I have him in a dog crate with straw, food and water and am trying to get him used to us before introducing to our dog. We have about 4 acres and about 1 acre fenced in with chain link fence, really good at keeping our chickens in and neighbor dogs out. I will check to make sure there are no secret holes or weak spots before letting Mardi out. I am concerned though with how tiny he is just letting him have the run of an acre. We built him a nice pig house next to the coop. I am also concerned now if I let him outside I won't be able to catch him again. We have a small garden area that is fenced in (and nothing growing now) so I thought I'd let him out in that first. We did discuss fencing off a smaller part of the acre for him but I wanted to give him the whole acre. So my question is, is it safe for him to be out on the acre right now or should I contain him to a smaller area until he gets bigger?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Is he tame? Will he come to you in the house? You could get a little leash and harness for him and take him out on a leash at first. It shouldn't be any harder to teach him than it would be to teach a puppy. I saw a lot of little mini pigs with pink velveteen leashes and harnesses being led around the fairgrounds during the Merced County Fair years ago. The looks of consternation on the Southeast Asian refugees there was priceless.

3. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    I forgot to mention that as small as he is, he would be vulnerable to attacks by hawks and other predators. I wouldn't let him run free until he is bigger.

4. kerusnak

kerusnak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    South Mississippi
    Thanks, I did get a harness is leash for him though he doesn't really walk on it. I also sectioned off a small area by his house and have been letting him out in there in short bits while I'm home.

5. cassie

Mar 19, 2009
    Keep working on leash training. This is something that will come in handy and later on you will be glad you got him trained to the leash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by