Potbelly pig?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Barnyard, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Ok guy's! I know everyone on here know's about chickens, but do you know anything about potbelly pigs, or can you point me in the right direction? I just went and got a 4 month old little piggy that some one was giving away. She is adorable. I have been wanting one for so long. Now I need to know how to take care of it. "HELP"

2. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    we have a pot belly pig, hes terrafied of us though. I don't know anything in particulare to tell you about care though. we have ours in the barn he sleeps in a big pile of hey. TSC has mini pig food and we give him lots of treats of vegitable scraps. Crystal

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I see you live in Georgia. It's important to keep her cool.
    Is she an inside or outside pig? If outside make sure she has plenty of shade and they love water. Some people use the little hard plastic kiddie pools to keep them cool. Those work pretty good as long as the sides are low enough for her to step into. Plus you will need to dump it out pretty often because they potty while they are in the water.
    Get her used to having her feet handled. She will need to have her hooves trimmed. And that can be a real nightmare when she is full grown if she isn't used to it.
    Feed her a pelleted pot bellied pig food, and lots of veggies. Some fruits are ok. Try to stay away from bread and stuff like that because they can get overweight easily. Fresh hay is good for them too.
    Pigs root, it's a natural thing for them to do. If she is a house pig, give her a low box and put some interesting things in it for her to root through.
    If she is outside keep her away from your flower beds, but give her an area where she can root.
    There are lots of pot bellied pig sites, and rescue sites, online. Even some Yahoo groups.
    I have 3 pots and enjoy having them here. They each have their own personalities.

4. starfroggie

starfroggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Walla Walla
    Does anyone know how long they live? I pet sit for one and she is nasty, she hates everyone except her one owner. She is a house pig and they have had her 11 years.

5. bptp731

bptp731 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    I really enjoy pots bellies I have 8 and my door is always open(I have never been given any but I have gotten some fairly cheap),I have some who are meaner than a snake and some who are as nice as can be.I have several who are about to have a litter and I also have some older both male and females who are for sale.Just incase anyone is interested.

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hello! We have a pot bellied pig named, "Miss Jelly Belly Bean!" [​IMG] She is 10 months old and a sweet heart. She gets along just great with our family and with our dogs and chickens. Here's a pic of her with my silkie roo, Prince. Her hair is standing up because his nails are gripping her back, but she lets him do this all the time--she just walks around the yard with him on her back. It's the craziest thing! lol Pot bellied pigs can live between 20-25 years. Here's some good info about them: http://www.ehow.com/how_2452_care-vietnamese-potbellied.html
    I purchase pot bellied pig food from TSC. I also mix a couple cups of broken corn and wheat to her food. One more thing---Pot bellied pigs can get dry flaky skin very easily. To rid this, just add a tbs. of olive oil to the food in the evenings. I feed her 2x a day--once in the AM and once in the PM. She is completely housebroken and has her own large metal dog cage. She loves furrowing in blankets, so in the morning that's all you see is a piggy snout sticking out from under her blankets! lol Anyhow, feel free to PM me anytime you have questions!
    God bless,
    Tracey

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    [email protected]@2four :

Hello! We have a pot bellied pig named, "Miss Jelly Belly Bean!" [​IMG] She is 10 months old and a sweet heart. She gets along just great with our family and with our dogs and chickens. Here's a pic of her with my silkie roo, Prince. Her hair is standing up because his nails are gripping her back, but she lets him do this all the time--she just walks around the yard with him on her back. It's the craziest thing! lol Pot bellied pigs can live between 20-25 years. Here's some good info about them: http://www.ehow.com/how_2452_care-vietnamese-potbellied.html
    I purchase pot bellied pig food from TSC. I also mix a couple cups of broken corn and wheat to her food. One more thing---Pot bellied pigs can get dry flaky skin very easily. To rid this, just add a tbs. of olive oil to the food in the evenings. I feed her 2x a day--once in the AM and once in the PM. She is completely housebroken and has her own large metal dog cage. She loves furrowing in blankets, so in the morning that's all you see is a piggy snout sticking out from under her blankets! lol Anyhow, feel free to PM me anytime you have questions!
    God bless,
    Tracey

The pic didn't post!!!! You gotta try again, I wanna see the little piggy!!!!​

8. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
  9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thanks everybody for your help.

I got this little girl last friday and she is 5 months old. She has been around dogs every since she was 4 weeks old. Well, let me tell you she does not like my dog's. She has jumped on my rott (he is a wimp) and my minpin. She would have really hurt my minpin if I hadn't have been here to stop her. What do I do about it? I really don't want to pen her up, but it is not fair to my dogs that I have had all there life to lock them up......somebody help [​IMG]

10. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    This is normal "piggy" behavior--she's trying to prove she's the top pig. Mine has her own little crate, which she goes to often to rest. I do lock it throughout the day if I'm not in the room with her and she's unattended with my dogs. **note: mine can unlock her crate--so I have to use a clip lock to lock it**. There are different ways to show her that this bahavior is unacceptable. Place her in the room with your bigger dog, so your little one doesn't get injured in the process--stand close to her and him. Pigs like treats and are EXTREMELY intelligent. Mine used to "fake pee and poop" to get treats! She would literally hunch over like she was going and nothing would come out and then she'd trot over to me, wagging her tail and looking for treats. Anyhow, pet both of them and talk in a very "happy" way(keeping yourself in between them). If she's not aggressive praise her and him with either pats or treats. If she jumps at him, you stomp your foot in her direction and sternly yell, "no!" Pigs understand commands and understand if you are happy with their behavior or not so much. Another thing that works well is just a water spray bottle. If she goes after him, just a squirt at her and again, "no!" should help decrease her aggression. If you stay consistent with this, it will most likely get better. She's still young, so that's good for you. I know this is tough--I didn't get mine until she was 10 months old, which was a bit harder to re-train some of her behaviors. Remember, stay consitent and BE FIRM! You have to show her that you are in charge. Trust me, you'll all be happier for it! [​IMG] Good luck!
    God bless,
    Tracey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by