Potbelly Piglet Info PLEASE

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 3, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I brought a 5 week old potbelly piglet home today from the swap meet. A total impulse buy. What do I need to know. Thanks, Krista

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They don't stay small forever.

They poop and smell like any other porcine creature.

I am told you need alot pateince with them.

Other than that I know very little if they require some other special daily care.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    5 weeks old is awful young to be away from mom.
    Piggy will drink from a bowl. No need to bottle feed. Fresh goat milk works well. Or a multi animal milk replacer. She should be on milk for another couple of weeks.
    Powdered probiotics in the milk will help with any stomach upsets.
    Give her a pot bellied pig pelleted feed. It has been too long for me to remember how much to feed and how often. Directions should be on the bag.
    Fresh water all the time. Use a low, heavy bowl or she will tip it over. Have some hay for her to munch on. It's good fiber for her.
    Avoid too many snacks...no matter how much she begs. Cheerios are ok. Fresh veggies are good. Avoid lettuce at this age.
    If she is in your house give her a litter box. Don't use clumping litter. Just newspaper works well. Keep her in a small enough area to be able to get to her litter box quick. You will be amazed how quick they learn to use a litter box. Much faster than a puppy.
    If she is outside give her a heat lamp at night. Make sure she can move away from it if it is too warm for her.
    You probably know how loud she screams if she doesn't want to be held....it's ear piercing. Pigs usually don't like being up in the air. Before you pick her up, let her know...like saying..."piggy up"...so she knows you are picking her up.
    Their were some good links in another post about potbellieds. They should help a lot if you find the thread.
    Have fun with her....they are so smart and cute. Don't leave her alone with dogs. They really need to be supervised around dogs.

4. Lil Chirp

Lil Chirp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    I've seen some people that have them in little pins filled with blankets and little beds in there family room.I dont know how they take care of them so well!
    I call them pampered pigs.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by