Potbelly Piglets... What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    There is someone selling piglets on kijiji. Are potbellies high maintenance? Would they require grazing? Educate me.

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    The do grow up to be Potbellied Pigs. Check George Clooney, who had his for twenty years. They do get to be hundreds (an hundreds) of pounds. . . . Wonderful animals, super smart, but lots of people end up abandoning them thinking they'd stay fuzzy and lil cute forever.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    the thing is alot of people sell piglets that don't turn out to be potbellied piglets they are standard piglets that get huge.

4. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    That is something I was worried about, they do have adults for sale as well so I guess you could SEE their animals.

My neighbour has a pot bellied pig,and it's adorable.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL..they dont all get that big, silly!...[​IMG]..its all what you feed them...mine eat 1 cup of pot belly food a day...and then just some greens and such...my male is 1 1/2 now..and he still only weighs about what a cocker spanial weighs..the problem is..most people over feed them...and then you can run into BIG problems!...[​IMG]...i love mine....they are super smart!...and not like a dog..as in, where dogs want to please YOU....lol..pigs are SO smart you have to trick them into thinking that THEY want to do it...(like a toddler...they actually DO have the mentality of a toddler)..so..for instance..you want them to like a bath....you have to add food to the bath tub at first...with a little bit of water...etc...to get them used to it...i had a turtle kiddle pool this summer i used...my pig would not go in it at all!...squeal and fight me...[​IMG]...BUT..as soon as i added some summer squash and green beans to the water ..he walked in himself..lol...thats just how pigs are.....and they are also very affectionate a nimals...needy..when they want to climb in your lap..and you dont let them...they whine and squeal...again..like a toddler taking a fit!...they are VERY clean!...only go the bathroom in the same spot...like a cat....thats why thay are so easy to litter box train...(except with my baby pig, i am having trouble with him and the box..ever since he went to get fixed...i hope they didnt mess him up inside!)..but..with my older one..he has NEVER messed in my house!..never....even when he was a very young piglet and got out of his pen one day when we were not at home..and he couldnt get back into the pen himself..he didnt mess in my house...umm..i could go on and on...i jabber to much!..sorry!....i think they are great pets..i will always have one now...best of luck to you!, Wendy

7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by