Potential cheap digital incubator..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookyevilone, Dec 18, 2008.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I saw this:
    Delux Mini-Fridge/Warmer on ThinkGeek and this caught my eye, "Chills to 44 degrees Fahrenheit, Warms to 140 degrees!" - you can select the temp.

You know you've got chick addiction when: You see something completely unrelated to hatching and go "OOOOOH!!! That would be a KEEEEEN incubator!"

I may buy one after xmas. [​IMG]
    -Spooky

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL

See the possibilities.

It might work, but I'd want to see what kind of temp swings it has in there. Like set at 100, but how low/high does it get before it heats again.

3. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Definite possibility! Another thing you'd have to figure out is air-flow and if you drilled holes, would you have temp swings. Very cool though! Let us know how it works out if you try it! [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL, get your head out of the bator cloud !!!!!

Do you really need another one...... WAIT !!!! I know the answer. DUH !!!! [​IMG]

5. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    it even has a car adapter so you could hatch eggs while on road trips!!![​IMG]

6. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Hmmm-
    Turn it sideways (if it will operate OK that way) & possibly use a couple auto-turners? . . .
    Well, see what the warranty is, & return policy, & if it doesn't "meet your expectations" . . .

7. helios

helios Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    Bureau County, Illinois
    kick'n chick'n :

it even has a car adapter so you could hatch eggs while on road trips!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

And three cheers for ThinkGeek!! My boyfriend's sister asked this Christmas, "Where do you get all this weird stuff?"​

8. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    I have that and am incubating my first set of eggs right now!!! It is the exact same thing as the ReptiPro 5000 (do a search on here and a gazillion posts will come up) that retails on the reptipro.com site for like $260 or on ebay for $150ish. It is holding temps and humidity perfectly! The bottom is too cold and it only comes with one shelf though. I made a second shelf and am hoping that it is good to go. Can't beat that price though!!! Here it is! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Wow!
    This post was from a long time ago!
    So, please keep us informed . . How you maintained humidity, what the temp swing was, how you turned them, & the success rate!
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by