Potential Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Xiao Casa, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    I have a young chick (just under 4 weeks old) that is looking very sleepy. She keeps sprawling out on the ground and lying there, and this morning she did not want to come out of the coop. She does not have bloody poop, loss of appetite, weight, or anything else unusual... she just wants to sit and lie down. When we fed the chicks, she was as voracious as any of them and enjoyed her meal with gusto, just as she always does. Is there a chance of coccidiosis, or is she just unusually sleepy? She was completely fine yesterday, flying and running around, eating, drinking and whatnot. Please could you tell me what to do? I'm totally new at this.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lethargy is often the first sign, moving on from there to not wanting to eat/drink and death comes quickly. Not all strains of cocci cause blood in the poop. Because coccidiosis is so common in chicks and lethal so fast I treat with Corid the minute I see a slow chick. You will never do any harm by treating, even if they don't have coccidiosis but if you don't treat and they do have it...well then you have dead birds.

There are other reason's she could be doing this but it's best to cover your bases and rule out the most common possibilities first.

3. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Okay, we are going out to get some Corid to help treat her with. I think Lowe's has it, and Walmart might. We are checking both stores now. How should I administer it, and how much?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Tractor Supply will have it in the cattle section.

20% Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, make fresh daily.
    9.6% liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, make fresh daily.

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Thank you guys! We actually decided against treating them, though, because now she looks just fine. Not sleepy, no ruffled up feathers, still has a great appetite, and she's even bossing around the other chicks now! Maybe she was just sleepy? Some of the other chicks had been going to sleep, too, but not in any abnormal amounts. They had just been napping, she was outright sleeping, though she hasn't at all within the last few hours. Just scratching, pecking, flying, running, and above all, eating!

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you aren't going to treat them, at least get a baseline weight on them. Healthy, growing chicks should make daily weight gains, so any loss or lack of gain is a sure sign they are sick.

-Kathy

8. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Well, they have been gaining weight daily, so I guess that means they're fine? They eat a ton of feed though!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They should gain 7-12% of their body weight per day. Any less than that and I worry. What breed are they?

-Kathy

10. Xiao Casa

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    They are Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, and Barred Rocks. According to the hatchery they should all be female. It was only one of the Easter Eggers who was acting that way.

Here is a picture of her:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by