Potential cyanide poisoning due to common black and yellow millipede.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jez Family, Aug 21, 2016.

  1. Jez Family

    Jez Family New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Aug 10, 2016
    Has anyone ever experienced cyanide poisoning in their flock due to the black and yellow millipedes that are extremely common here in the Pacific Northwest? I noticed one of my nine week old poults pecking one (and may have eaten) this morning when I let them into their enclosure. Now the same bird is acting very lathergic. Any information on toxicity and potential antedotes would be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    10,376
    3,838
    406
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I really don't know how toxic that could be.

    You may want to try one of the "Laxative Solutions" in the link I'm giving you - either the molasses or epsom salts to see if it may help flush any toxins out.

    Another possibility at 9weeks can be cocci or some other illness/disease that was in the works and the millipede was just a coincidence.

    http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments


    Let us know how he's doing.
     
  3. Jez Family

    Jez Family New Egg

    4
    0
    9
    Aug 10, 2016
    Well after acting sick all day he came out of it completely. I'm udderly convinced that darn millipede was to blame but I really have no proof. But that type of millipede does produce it's own cyanide and he was pecking it and may have eaten it. IDK
     
  4. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    10,376
    3,838
    406
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad he is doing well.

    Sometimes you have to go with your "gut" on these things. If he is fine now, then it could have been the millipede. You just never know[​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by