Potential Hen Head Injury - HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahLC, Jul 29, 2013.

1. SarahLC

SarahLC New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    My partner accidently knocked over a heavy pallet onto one of our hens, Scarlet. She didn't move at all for about 5 minutes and we thought we had lost her. Shes walking around off balance at the moment and keeps closing her eyes and moving her neck as if stretching. We're both new to keeping chickens and have no idea what to do. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You are lucky that she wasn't killed. We change things around and are always moving feed bags and pulling things out to clean in our coop, so I know how they are nosey and get underfoot.About all you can do is watch her. Make sure she isn't getting picked on by the others while she is on the mend. If she needs to be protected, put her in a crate inside the coop or run where she can still be around around her buddies. Make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. Hopefully she will be fine in a day or two.

3. SarahLC

SarahLC New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you for replying :) We took her to the vet to make sure and she appears to be ok, thankfully. Shes had an injection for pain relief and we will just have to keep an eye on her. Thanks again.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I hope your hen gets better! Keep us updated please.

5. SarahLC

SarahLC New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi there, i just thought i would let you know that Scarlet is absolutely fine now. We kept a very close eye on her and gave her treats in the form of sultanas! Both our hens have settled perfectly into their new homes :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by