1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Potential manganese or thiamine deficiency: what do I feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Redwood Violet, May 11, 2011.

1. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    I have a duck who hobbles. She has developed a minor deformity in one of her feet, with her center toe swollen and the outer toe curved inward. She has what appears to be a wart or growth on the center toe, as well. She appears to be the only bird in my flock with this issue. From my research, I have determined that this could be a diet deficiency, but I do not know what to feed to solve the potential manganese or thiamine issue. Any thoughts? The other option is that she cut her foot sometime back and I'm looking at an infection, but based on the leg and her limp, I'm sure it's not isolated to her foot. Thanks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is teh wart growth on the underside of the foot?? It could be bumblefoot.

3. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    It is on the underside of the foot. I think I'm going to soak it a little and see where that gets me. Thanks for the input. [​IMG] I've never seen bumblefoot before, so this is a new, if unpleasant, lesson in duck rearing.

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I do not think it is a deficiency, but bumblefoot. You need to remove the plug and put your bird on antibiotics to treat it. Soaking along is not sufficient and it will get bigger. Not treating it can destroy the legs joints, not from the bad swelling, but the bacteria destroying tissue in the joints. Search this forum for bumble foot treatment and you will find instructions for how to treat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by